Active Powered In-Ceiling Speakers for Squeezebox.

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by JayGannon, Jan 30, 2009.

1. JayGannon

JayGannon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy,
    I am looking for some good budget in-ceiling (or wall) active powered speakers for 4 rooms in a new build. Any reccomendations?
    Thanks in advance.

2. RossDublin

RossDublin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked in to this a bit before doing up my house about a year and a half ago and I couldn't find any reasonable active powered in-ceiling speakers worth considering.

I had three areas (one living space and two bathrooms) that I wanted to put ceiling speakers in.

In the end I went for non-powered speakers and I have yet to connect an amp up to power the bathroom ones - albeit this is partly due to other commitments. I do plan on putting an amp on them soon though and using the Squeezebox Duet controller to control my music from the bath - sweet!

If you are looking at bathroom in-ceiling speakers i went for B&W single stero speakers - so you only need to put up the one speaker and it will play both channels.

Sorry I can't really answer your question properly!

Ross

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    There are a few options as always depedns on budget and you'll probably find it cheaper to fit a small multi-room system like:Nuvo Simplese with Speakers (UK) Or go sonos instead of squeezebox, the biggest issue is feeding mains power to the speaker and controlling it. Genelec Genelec Oy - Genelec AIC25 do some decent in ceiling actives as do POLK LC80i-IP Product Page : Superior Sound and Internet Addressability From Speakers You Can Barely See : Polk Audio but both are pricey. Cheape roptions are ABUS actives from Opus AMR650 active in-ceiling speaker / Opus 500 / Opus systems / Opus Technologies but can be rather weedy.