1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active or Passive Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by filfil, Dec 1, 2003.

1. filfil

filfil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does having an Active or Powered Subwoofer make a significant difference?

Thanks

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Because top end subwoofers are always active you have slightly more status with an active sub and of course really powerful subwoofers need to be active because of their power demands.

The reality is for smaller systems and all in one setups where the power requirements for the sub are fairly low a passive design is fine. It also has the advantage that its switched off when the system is in standby where as active subs are always on unless you physically get up and turn them off either from the mains or on the unit itself. Most active subs have automatic standby mode when they don't receive any signal for a while but this can be annoying on some setups where the sub channel is rarely used and it can switch off in a film because it has so little bass and then you miss out hearing bass while it comes out of standby mode.

I would concentrate on the end results of a system which is the sound quality and wouldn't worry about the technology itself. The same is true of analogue and digital amplifiers. Two different types of amplificaiton available with all in ones but both have good and bad examples and its only the good examples we are interested in.

3. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a point, i was worried about this (active or passive) and my passive subwoofer really is just fine!

I wouldn't worry.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moving to speakers + subwoofer forum.

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A passive sub becomes an active one as soon as you add an amplifier to it.

ie: a lot of the SVS range are passive, but are supplied with external amps that better most 'plate' amps installed in 'active' subs.

What exactly are you comparing?

Cheers

Rob