Active noise reducing cans for oily skin?

trott3r

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Weird topic header looking at it now but yes i have oily skin and I have trouble with sweating/moisture on vinyl ear pads.

I am after some noise reduction headphones that are circumaural and so press against the skin.

The only headphones that i have found to be comfortable and non sweaty are my old sennheiser hd560 ovatiion II which have felt earpads.
I was going to get some sennheiser pcx 350 active noise reducing cans but noticed from their photo they have that annoying vinyl covering. That sent me on a search of review on amazon.co.uk and .com along with others to see if i could find one but i cant.

So any circumaural headphones that do have felt pads on them?

Thanks

Martin

I guess there must be plenty...

Even the AKG K55 I am using right now are the type...

Or maybe I am not getting what you are saying - you do not want both vinyl pads and felt pads right? What about "leatherette" pads like those with Sennheiser HD201?

Or maybe I am not getting what you are saying - you do not want both vinyl pads and felt pads right? What about "leatherette" pads like those with Sennheiser HD201?

Sorry for the confusion I dont want vinyl pads but Do want felt pads.

Are those models acrive noise reduction headphones?

thank for your time

Martin

Sorry for the confusion I dont want vinyl pads but Do want felt pads.
Are those models acrive noise reduction headphones?
thank for your time
Martin

It turns out I cannot read :) So you want noise cancelling headphones with felt pads such as these Beyerdynamics for example.

It turns out I cannot read :) So you want noise cancelling headphones with felt pads such as these Beyerdynamics for example.

Those "QPAD/Beyerdynamic Pro Gaming Headphones" have replacable ear pads but i cant see anything about them being felt or something else.

your description is right but did you CnPaste the wrong link?

thanks

Martin N

I havent tried leatherette myself so i cant comment if they would be good or not.

I have had foam on some gradio sr60s which are okay apart from the black colour goes orange from my skin secretions :(
Foam would be better than vinyl at a pinch but i have never seen any foam circumaural cans before only supra aural like the grados.

thanks

Martin

Most of the Beyers have velour pads, which would be good for your needs, and in many of their pads are removable and washable. The DT250 is a very good closed phnoe

Why ANC? Do you fly a lot, as that seems the only application they are any use in. Even then,you can get better VFM & SQ from comparably priced canals that isolate better - and no pad problems.

Most of the Beyers have velour pads, which would be good for your needs, and in many of their pads are removable and washable. The DT250 is a very good closed phnoe

Why ANC? Do you fly a lot, as that seems the only application they are any use in. Even then,you can get better VFM & SQ from comparably priced canals that isolate better - and no pad problems.

What is "velour" similar too material wise?

I will have a look for the dt250

ANC i find them useful when I am a passenger in a car. They cut out the wind noise and general drone of a car on the moterrway.

I do have some old sennheiser PXC 250 ANC on ear headphones but would like to get a better pair of circumaural cans assumming i can get some non sweat ones.

thanks

Martin

I had a look at the Beyer DT250 and they are not ANC and reasonably pricey for a headphone that is probably similiar in performance to my old sennheiser hd560 ovation II semi open cans.

I do have some closed back sony headphones which do cancel noise a little but not as much as the ANC sennheiser PXC 250.

thanks

Martin

Velour is felt-like.

No, the DT250 isn't an ANC phone, but they will offer you reasonable isolation and far better sound quality than any comparably priced ANC phone. ANC is technology you have to pay extra for, money which could provide better sound instead.

That's why I also suggested canals; again more sound for your money, and better isolators than ANC - they don't selectively isolate.

And how can you make a value judgement about the DT250, which you've never heard, based on your experience with an discontinued Sennheiser? :confused:

Velour is felt-like.

No, the DT250 isn't an ANC phone, but they will offer you reasonable isolation and far better sound quality than any comparably priced ANC phone. ANC is technology you have to pay extra for, money which could provide better sound instead.

That's why I also suggested canals; again more sound for your money, and better isolators than ANC - they don't selectively isolate.

And how can you make a value judgement about the DT250, which you've never heard, based on your experience with an discontinued Sennheiser? :confused:

Yes its true you pay more however my experience with closed back sony cans are the isolation is not as good as ANR.

In ear canal phones are uncomfortable to me as i have a small ear canal. I do have some shure e2c in -ears that are ok for short periods but the small size fittings are still unconfortable after a period of time.

I see that beyer dont do any ANR cans that i can find.
Do other manufacturers use Velour?

thanks

Martin N

I can confirm that "Beyerdynamic DT 770 M" headphones do have good noise isolating properties
(more than 30 dB on paper, which is the highest number I have seen the manufacturers declaring) and a pudding which appears to be leather to me (but i may be wrong). I haven't tried any ANC earphone yet to compare with the passive isolating headphone above, but I compared it with the earmuffs used by AIr Force with 30 db NRR, and they allow only a little bit noise to go through as compared with the Air Force earmuffs.

I can confirm that "Beyerdynamic DT 770 M" headphones do have good noise isolating properties
(more than 30 dB on paper, which is the highest number I have seen the manufacturers declaring) and a pudding which appears to be leather to me (but i may be wrong). I haven't tried any ANC earphone yet to compare with the passive isolating headphone above, but I compared it with the earmuffs used by AIr Force with 30 db NRR, and they allow only a little bit noise to go through as compared with the Air Force earmuffs.

This is not much help; the 770 need serious amping to run properly, as in a good quality desktop amp. Sure, a portable might run them, but wouldn't get close to what they're capable of, or designed to run from. And that won't make them a good choice for travelling in a car, as the OP will do.

You can't judge phones applicability based on spec sheets alone; the spec sheets won't tell you which phones need amping and which don't - that comes down to getting good advice when buying.

There are 80 ohm dt770m, does what you're saying apply to them too? There also other Beyerdynamic' 770-s (like Pro) which are very different from the one I am talking about: DT 770 M.

I am very new headphones shopper so I certainly can miss something.

Last edited:
Wrong way round; you want products to treat the skin rather than restrict your auditory experience. Come on people!

I would suggest IEMs to avoid worrying about your skin

Or if you prefer full sized headphone style, how are you with animal skins? My closed AT ESW9 (see profile for headphone kit) is made with lamb skin :devil:

Wrong way round; you want products to treat the skin rather than restrict your auditory experience. Come on people!

Or if you prefer full sized headphone style, how are you with animal skins? My closed AT ESW9 (see profile for headphone kit) is made with lamb skin :devil:

IEMs are uncomfortable for me after a short period of time.

I do have some old £30 sonys that are closed backed that i have plucked the vinyl off to reveal sponge are ok at a stretch but not as good at reducing car noise as my sennheiser on ear ANR.

Martin

There are 80 ohm dt770m, does what you're saying apply to them too? There also other Beyerdynamic' 770-s (like Pro) which are very different from the one I am talking about: DT 770 M.

I am very new headphones shopper so I certainly can miss something.

I have the DT250/80ohm and it doesn't need an amp, but will run far better off a even a portable amp - it doesn't need anywhere near the power of the big ohm phones, so I'd assume the DT770 would be the same. The problem is size - these are full size phones, and big ones at that. THe above suggestion is the best, IEM or good closed portable the ESW9 will sound better than an ANC phone IMO.

Few links to leather and velour parts which may give right hints (in German, sorry):
Sennheiser HD 25 Leder Ohrpolster (Paar)
Polsterset Velour für Technics RP-DJ 1200/1210 violet

I have also seen sound isolating models which use "protein skin" (above 200 EUR) and "softskin", smth one might google about.

Thanks for the links i have found some for the sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs which are closed back supra-aural cans that are used by djs for passive noise reduction.

They do have velour ear pads in the kit as a second pair.
Pretty expensive thought at around £150

Not quite what i want but maybe something that i could live with

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom