1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Control + light sensor on new Philips PF9830 models

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dACEniel, May 13, 2005.

1. dACEniel

dACEniel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new friends!
    Like some of you, I´m thinking to buy one of the new models of Philips LCD PF9830 instead of 9986 actually available. It´s not easy, but I can wait a few months more.
    I ve been thought in 32PF9830, but I read that will go without active control with light sensor. I ask for those members who have a PF9986:
    Is the active control with light sensor really important and necessary ? Is really good for the quality of image? Is really effective?
    Or do you recommend me the 37"PF9830 model with the light sensor? I´ve no problems for distance and space for a 37" model. 42" it´s enought. :lease:

Thanks in advance for your answers and excuse my bad english.
    dACEniel :(

2. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    I had the 9986, tried the active control once, but then switched it off. To my untrained eye, all it seemed to do was automatically increase / decrease contrast and brightness depending on the ambient light in the room. I found this to be quite distracting to be honest. My 9986 went back for other reasons and I'm also waiting for the 9830. I will not miss the Active Sensor Control.

John

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The active control really is pretty much a complete waste of time. Even when turned off it still fiddles with the picture a bit. I have mine set to Minimum and that actually seems to mess with the picture less than when it is off! Anyway, what it does is all but invisible anyway.

Jimmy

4. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I shall bookmark this one - and next time I read someone saying that Jimsan's adoration of the 9986 is slavish, I shall be able to point to this post and say, "Yes, but it's intelligent slavish adoration." :devil:

db