Active ambient lighting strips with flush wall mounted tv

peteaero

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am considering the benefits of adding some ambient lighting to my tv. I have a Philips Bridge so their new gradient strip attracted my attention, albeit it seems very expensive so maybe another active system is more cost effective. My main concern however is that I have a Samsung qled tv that is flush mounted to the wall. The edges of the tv are the only bits that are away from the Wall and the gap is only about 3cms. Will ambient lighting even work in this set up?

The bigger the gap between wall and TV, the bigger the spread of light across the wall will be. A 3cm gap is fairly common (for LCDs at least), as that's the depth of a typical (non-slimline) bracket.

The new Phillips Hue gradient lightstrip should be more effective than a standard lightstrip because it's angled to project the light at 45 degrees, rather than directly backwards like a normal, flat lightstrip would.

How far would a lightstrip end up from the edge of your TV ? Lightstrips tend to have a minimum bend radius that could make things tricky for you if the distance isn't big enough.

Just be aware the new gradient lightstrip requires the Hue Play HDMI Sync Box to work properly so not only does that add £230 to the cost, but it also means it'll only work as intended with external sources and not the TV's own apps or Freeview tuner.

I'm not sure how the gradient strip will work without the sync box. I suspect it will just display solid blocks of colour like the normal lightstrip, but I've yet to see confirmation of this.

I'm not sure how the gradient strip will work without the sync box. I suspect it will just display solid blocks of colour like the normal lightstrip, but I've yet to see confirmation of this.

I had wondered if it presented a several fixtures so that each zone can be independently controlled? If so, could be tempted to get one for non-TV use once the hue app can control them properly (dont think it can address the zones yet) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom