Active 5.1 speakers

littlecaesar

Standard Member
Reaction score
Am looking to sort out a disaster of sound thanks to a Heath Robinson set up of active speakers (formerly used in an old cinema, and now on their last legs....) Fronts need to be no more than 50cm tall and will go in existing wall cavities behind the screen. Rears to be wall mounted, possibly dipoles? The lot will be hooked up to a Marantz AV 7005 for processing duties for movies and music. Room size around 25m2. Am looking at PMC, ATC or Dynaudio Air......

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year!

What is your budget? Does it have to be active speakers or could you get a multichannel power amp and passive speakers?

Open to go passive/power. Exceptional sound quality is the only criteria given the limits of the room and speaker enclosures. Budget around £7k. Comments/ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks.

If looking at passive speakers then the PMC wafer range would be worth a look paired to bryston power amp(s). You have a good budget so make sure you go listen to some options. Also talk to some installation experts to get there advice.

Thanks PSM... I was thinking of going down the active route because a. Simplifying the amplification chain and b. presumably PCM, Dynaudio etc. match amplification carefully to their own speakers to get the best performance and sound quality out of them...? Trying to get demos here in Italy is a little tricky so I was hoping to get some persuasive advice online (not the best policy I know). Nevertheless, thanks for responding and all the best for the New Year!

Have a look at Meyer Sound.

John Meyer is an audio genius who designs and builds some of the world's best active PA speakers and has also produced a range of cinema speakers. It seems he wanted some for his own system and put them into production!

I can put you in touch with the UK sales guy if you are genuinely interested.

Thanks Noiseboy, am willing to pursue all avenues, although checking the Meyer website (quickly) it seemed that their systems might be overkill? But I would happily speak to their UK rep, thanks for the offer! LC

This Acheron Designer : Screen Channel Loudspeaker was the one I was thinking of. Not sure of cost though, £7K might buy you a pair I guess...

I note you are in Italy. Do you want me to get the name of the Italian distributers ?

...And I would reccomend the Genelecs as a cheaper solution as well. Very accurate and forward in their presentation. You would want a decent sub as their low frequency response is a little polite.

Have been reading up a little on Meyer - they are very highly regarded - they don't come cheap though! 7k might just buy a speaker terminal... Anyway, I suppose they need to be listened to. I like the idea of the Genelecs, do their subs work well? I will also be checking out an Italian manufacturer called Audiofactory (audiofactory.it).

Thanks for your advice, I will let you know how this pans out. If you have more ideas, keep 'em coming!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom