1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activating HD on VPLHS50 & Denon DVD2910

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Skittles, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Skittles

Skittles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Sony VPL HS50 projector and am about to buy a Denon DVD2910 player. The DVD player has 1080i/720p scaling, and the projector is HD capable.

The problem I have is do I need a HDMI cable to be able to utilise the HD features, or will they be accessible through component video cables? (I need a 15m HDMI cable which is very expensive, so I'd like to avoid this). The people in the shops I have spoken to have given me mixed opinions - some say only regular definition will be outputted through the DVD player's component out, and others say the projector will only accept HD input through the HDMI.

Any help on eitehr the projector or DVD player will be deeply appreciated.

(Cross posted in DVDs too)

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have a Denon 3910 and it only allows upconverted output via the DVI or HDMI terminals. I think I am safe in saying that the 2910 will be the same.

3. Skittles

Skittles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate.

4. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    2910 outputs as follows: Component 480/576 i/p only, DVI/HDMI 480/576 i/p or 720p or 1080i AND the receiving device must be HDCP compliant.
    The HS50, if it's anything like my HS10, will accept upto 1080i via component as well as HDMI, my HS10 does on its component and DVI inputs.

5. Skittles

Skittles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help mate.

I got the player today and the picture is great. Funny thing is that when I set the player up to output in progressive, the projector says "out of frequency range" with no picture. I have to output from the DVD player in interlaced mode as aparently the projector converts a progressive signal to interlaced.

Seems odd to me that the projector can't accept a progressive signal... :confused: