1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Action switch setup

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Thunder, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    After recently buying a DVD32R and a pair of 250MRs I have become addicted to the fact that I only have to use one button to turn all my gear on and off via the bus, rather than relying on a large macro and X10 modules :D . Therefore I want to make use of the action switches to control my Parasound HCA2205 (it powers the centre and surround channels). The HCA2205 has a 12V trigger, so I have bought a little 12V power supply and intend to DIY a solution. My little dilemma is that I want the HCA2205 to stay powered down when listening to CDs as I listen to them in Direct+sub mode. The following is the solution I have come up with, please could someone correct me if Im wrong :confused: I intend to run a Y cable from the + output of the 12V power supply to the input pins on swithches A and B and a second Y cable from the output pins on swithches A and B to the + input terminal on the HCA2205. Im then going to connect a single run of cable from the - output of the 12V supply direct to the - input terminal on the HCA2205. I then intend to set the action swithches so that A closes when a 16:9 signal is detected by the DVD32R and so that B closes when a 4:3 signal is detected by the DVD32R. If Im right this means that whenever a DVD is loaded into the DVD32R one of the switches will close and the HCA2205 will be switched on, and when a CD is loaded the amp should stay off? Or am I wrong? If a DVD in 2.35:1 is loaded will the switch remain open and therefore not operate my amp? Or will any widescreen DVD trigger the switch? I realise this function was probably designed with automated screen masking in mind :confused: could someone help; Steve, Graham, Udo, please :thumbsup:

2. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Why not just set it to remain open when you select the CD button and set the CD to select the DVD audio signal. I say that asumming the AV32 menu system is similar to the AV30

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Because I play both CDs and DVDs through the same source, my DVD32R :)

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'll answer this one myself now as I have the action switches up and running and have played around with it......... No Thunder it wont work, you will just have to put up with your HCA2205 being on all the time when the DVD32R is selected :lesson:

5. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    So do I (565 :blush: ) but by selecting CD I can go straight to direct mode ( and you could set the switch to open ) and DVD when I want to watch a film, switch set to close. The only thing you may have to do is not set the CD to the same DIG out as you have set to DVD, use the analogue or different Dig output....I don't know what connections you have on your dvd32

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    DVD32R only has one digital output mate and then of course theres the sync link connection which there is also only one of. Both of these must be connected to the same digital input for maximum sound quality :D The DVD32R dosnt have any analogue outputs :thumbsup:

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My DVD32R has two SPDIF digital outs, so you can feed one to the CD input and the other to DVD. You only need one sync link connection and then just enable it for CD and DVD input. Set the triggers accordingly for DVD and CD inputs and you should be in business. Alternatively buy some more TAG amps :)

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It has two! :blush: That will teach me not to look round the back! Ive only had it a month and not really given it a good look over, just plonked it on the shelf. Cheers mate! I feel rather stupid now :suicide: