1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Action scenes in Gladiator

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Nov 23, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how to describe this, and I'm sure it's the film/dvd, but has anyone noticed a sort of jittery effect during the action scenes in Gladiator. Almost like the effect you'd get from strobing?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    AFAIK, the movie was deliberately shot in this manner, using a very high shutter speed in the camera. This has the effect of making each frame very sharp, without any motion blurring that would normally be there on a "traditionally" shot film. Motion blurring makes rapid movement appear smoother. The lack of it (as in this case) causes the strange jerkiness you describe.

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel,

I thionk now I'm watching it on a 94 inch screen it takes a bit of getting used to. It's quite disorienting!

The effect is really good, but on a large screen I think my brain needs to get used to processing a lot more information at once so the difference really hits home.

Cheers

Nick

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is what you discride the same effect as the battle schenes in Saving Private Ryan? Very strange expereince, but is does add to the movie! Band of Brothers also seems to have this feel to it!

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    yes it is.
    yes it is.