Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Act of war - Direct Action

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Kryters74, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello Guys

No matter what I try whenever I try and run this game my pc keeps telling me that there is no disc inserted, when there is! How could I have installed the bloody game if there was no disc! I do not have this problem with anything else just this game - any ideas?

Cheers

Nick

2. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I had the same problem with Football Manager 2k5. Some people were finding that if they had a CD copying program such as Alchohol installed it would keep asking for the disc to be inserted. If this applies to you un-install and see if this works. In my instance the problem was solved by installing Windows Service Pack 2. After that the game run fine. Hope this helps.

3. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I e-mail'd Atari for support and the e-mail etc I have recieved are below, it looks like it might be a security issue, I will keep this thread updated with the findings......

Hi Nick,

first of all many thanks for informing us about the anomaly described within your E-Mail below. To solve this issue as soon as possible and be
    able to provide a solution immediately we would highly appreciate if you could follow the procedure described below.

1.) Make sure that the original disc is in your local CD or DVD-ROM drive.
    2.) Please reboot your computer and do not start any applications.
    3.) Click with the right button of your mouse onto the link on your desktop. If you have deleted the
    link please click with the right button of your mouse on the protected executable file.
    4.) A context menu will appear. Choose "Launch Analysis" within the menu.
    5.) After selection a disclaimer window will appear on your screen.
    6.) To proceed, please click onto the "Yes" button.
    7.) The program will now generate an "AnalysisLog.sr0" file within the root of your C:\ partition.
    8.) Please zip that file and send it to our official email address support@securom.com.
    9.) In addition please send us your disc number. You can find that number in the inner ring on
    the data side. The attached picture will help you finding the number.

Thank you for your cooperation and your patience.

best regards,

SecuROM Technical Support Team
    support@SecuROM.com
    http://www.SecuROM.com

"Nick Gibbs"
    14.04.2005 10:12
    To <support@securom.com>
    cc
    Subject Fw: Act Of war - Problem running game

Hello

I have been directed in your direction by Atari (see below).

I have purchased a copy of Act of War which installed without any problems, but everytime I try and run the game it tells me to insert the disk (which is definitaltly in the drive!)

Can you help me on this? I can provide a full hardware breakdown of my pc if required (Dell Dimesion 8400)

Regards

Nick
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: 'Nick Gibbs'
    Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:48 AM
    Subject: RE: Act Of war - Problem running game

Dear Nick,

Sorry to here about the problem. It might be worth contacting Securom as they have sent out specific fixes for what is known by them to be a copy protection issue. Their website is http://www.securom.com and their E Mail address is support@securom.com. Just in case I have included some generic trouble shooting for this issue. Just in case I have included some generic trouble shooting for this issue.

Make sure you have the latest version of Direct X.

This can be found on the CD itself in a separate folder. Right click the CD icon in my computer and go to Explore then left click to view the contents on the CD. Alternatively you can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

Update CD-ROM firmware. To update your CD-ROM firmware in Windows:

First determine what type of CD-ROM/DVD you have. To do this:

Click Start
    Click Run
    In the box type control. Click OK. This will bring up the Control Panel
    Click on the System icon.
    Click the Device Manager tab. If you are running Windows XP, click the Hardware tab, then the Device Manger button.
    Click the + next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives

Underneath the DVD/CD-ROM Drives is the manufacturer name of your CD-ROM/DVD drive. You may have more than one. To find the latest driver go to the manufacturer's web site. They should have a support section or a firmware section where you can find the firmware for the device listed in the Device Manager.

Follow the instructions on the manufacturer's web site to download and install the latest firmware. If you can't find a firmware update or the manufacturer's site, refer to the documentation that came with the hardware or your computer for support.

Disable any third party start up applications using MSCONFIG

a. Click Start, select 'run'
    b. In the 'run' field type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) and click OK
    c. When the System Configuration Utility windows appears put a dot next tothe 'Selective Startup' option.
    d. At the bottom of the same screen, take the tick out of 'Load Startup Group Items'
    e. Click OK and you will be prompted to restart you computer.
    f. Once the computer has restarted go into the game again and the problem should be resolved.

Remove any CD-burning software installed

Remove programs like Nero Burning Rom, or other system tools like Inseektors, Daemon Tools, or others, you may need to disable any processes the software installs, such as the NeroCheck utility installed with Nero.

Install from a different drive

If your system has multiple CD-ROM drives (or a DVD/CD-RW etc..), try installing from another drive, then playing from that drive.

Best Regards

Marcus Bradshaw

4. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This is the solution that I have been provided - what is Sonic SLA? and what effect will this have on my PC?

Dear Nick,

it seems you haven't received our emails at the 4/14/05 and 4/22/05.
    Here comes the solution again:

It appears that there may be a conflict with Sonic DLA. Please disable DLA with the following steps:

1) Go to "Start" and select "Run"
    2) Type "cmd" to go to the command prompt and hit Enter/OK
    3) Type "dla disable e:" where "e:" is the drives assigned letter.

This should disable Sonic DLA. If you continue to have problems, be sure to contact us again.

best regards,

SecuROM Technical Support Team
    support@SecuROM.com
    http://www.SecuROM.com

5. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

I tried this suggested fix and it has worked!

6. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still think it's a joke that companies try to force you to uninstall programs such as Nero. There are valid reasons to want to burn files to cd's that do not involve piracy. I burnt some code to a cd just yesterday to take into work. :mad: