• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

acram avr300

bluenose24

I am debating to buy this from this forum for £450 inc delivery, is this a good price?

what i would like to no is peoples thought's on it as i would be pairing it with my kef speakers that i have gotten of late,would the amp give the ommph to run the kefs???
I would also like to run my 360 and my htpc and a blu ray player (to be added) but i no this doesnt have hdmi input as the later model the 350 does!!! but how things are going along everything seems to have hdmi would this be a wise purchase?

any help would be great

Nev

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The people who priorotise AV amps that are good with music and who think HD audio is overrated will tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Others, who think HD audio is worth it will think it's a waste of money buying an amp that will not do HD audio via HDMI. You could by a Blueray player with analogue outs (at extra cost over a non analogue out player) but you then have to manually set up base management which can be a bit tricky depending on the flexibility of the amp and chosen BR Player.

I think a little while ago, they were selling new for about £300, discounted from their original price of £1000+.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
BTW the 350 has HDMI, but it doesn't do audio via them, it's just video switching --- the only way for HD audio is via analogue ins, the same as the 300.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
so are the only advantages of the 350 hdmi then?

There may be other differences, you'd need to do a side by side spec check. The big thing with these Arcam amps is that they are praised (by their users) for audio quality, but have limited (i.e. analogue connection only) HD audio connectivity for blueray sources.

bluenose24

yeah i heard that also i was originally thinking of an onkyo 805/876 as i no that it would decode the hd audio but at the same time the acram has posatives as well i'm just trying to figure out which would theoretically be the best for the money

careless_adi

Distinguished Member
yeah i heard that also i was originally thinking of an onkyo 805/876 as i no that it would decode the hd audio but at the same time the acram has posatives as well i'm just trying to figure out which would theoretically be the best for the money

In all honesty it depends how much you're looking to get the Onkyo for really compared to the Arcam.
If you want to latest HD audio wizardry & gizmos then go for the Onkyo... if you prefer the British open naturelness of Arcam and pure audio finesse then go for the (or shall I say, my) Arcam :smashin:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The price of the 300 looks a little steep for a second hand unit but they are good amps still.
I have the 350 and it is the best sounding amp I have had. It does not do HD audio although I have got around this by using the analogue inputs. To be honest it was not that hard to set up and I think it sounds very good. However, 90% of my listening is either standard Dolby digital/DTS/Prologic with some music too and on this front the Arcam far excels anything else and will wipe the floor with the Onkyos you mention. Due to this I have no intention of upgrading my 350 for some time yet (although I am looking to see what the reviews on the 500 will be llike!!!).
So in short it is a great amp and it represents a cheap way to get into some high end equipment although it does have a few limitations. Whether or not it is something you should get depends on how you view those limitations.

eaglemmoomin

If you are going to be using a HTPC with appropriate playback software (eg Total Media Theatre) for your Blueray/HDDVD (maybe!) playback and are not intending on purchasing a HDAV1 or Auzentech XiFi Hometheatre HD audio card then the Arcam will be fine for this usage utilising its Analogue MCH as all the processing is being done in the PC. You will get better levels of audio processing, DACs and op amps in a more expensive audio card though as you need to bear in mind that via analogue MCH the Arcam will not be processing any of the audio as it would for a digital connection.

As with everything you makes your choice. If you want a new 'loaded' processor then NAD, Rotel, Pioneer and Cambridge Audio make 'HiDef' AVRs that might be suitable if you are looking at Arcam.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom