• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Acquittals quashed and Retrial ordered in Stephen Lawrence Murder case.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Acc. to that Guardian article, they've got some forensics now - presumably clothing fibres - and the pair were charged last September but it could not be reported.

Which reminds me of the bravest/best thing the Daily Mail ever did:

97342991.jpg

They never did sue, did they ?

Dave

Distinguished Member

No because it's one of those rare cases where the police investigating the case simply aren't looking for anyone else.

There is little doubt that they were part of the group that attacked and killed Stephen Lawrence and it's only a very robust justice system stacked in the favour of the defendant that has ever seen them walk from court.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Acc. to that Guardian article, they've got some forensics now - presumably clothing fibres - and the pair were charged last September but it could not be reported.

Which reminds me of the bravest/best thing the Daily Mail ever did:

How much would it cost to sue a newspaper?

As for their guilt, isn't that yet to be established?
Unless, Dave, you are privy to information that the General public aren't?

Ian J

Banned
How much would it cost to sue a newspaper?

Nothing. There would be a queue of people who would take on the case on a no win no fee basis if they thought the case was winnable as the PR value would be enormous.

The fact that no-one has, speaks volumes

Dave

Distinguished Member
Unless, Dave, you are privy to information that the General public aren't?

I'm not privy to any information that is not already in the public domain but I am far more aware of the circumstances surrounding his murder than most as I studied the report that followed the murder and the Met police's handling of it etc.

It is a very rare moment indeed that I will jump the gun on a trial and say I believe that the accused are probably guilty, this is one of them. That is naturally with the caveat that due process should be adhered to and if they are acquitted than so be it.

The difficult part may be finding a jury that is not tainted in some way to try them.

mij

I think they stand no chance of a fair trial now with our media, unless it has already been decided that they are guilty.

Even without this Stephen Lawrence case these guys should be behind bars.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
I think they stand no chance of a fair trial now with our media, unless it has already been decided that they are guilty.

That is the problem...BUT hey, it don't matter, they are guilty anyway right?

kav

Distinguished Member
Great news, though it's a valid point that due process needs to be followed. We don't want these scumbags to get off on some sort of technicality because their lawyers claim a fair trial is not possible.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Why do the BBC have to put it like this?

Two men are to stand trial over the murder of black teenager Stephen Lawrence in London in 1993.

Why don't they just say "over the murder of teenager Stephen Lawrence" ? Why do they label him as "black teenager" at all? If it was me they wouldn't say "over the murder of fat middle aged JohnG" would they?

I also get annoyed when they label people as "murdered teenager" etc.

Rant over!

Why do the BBC have to put it like this?

Why don't they just say "over the murder of teenager Stephen Lawrence" ? Why do they label him as "black teenager" at all? If it was me they wouldn't say "over the murder of fat middle aged JohnG" would they?

I also get annoyed when they label people as "murdered teenager" etc.

Rant over!

Because it's relevant.

Not to me it isn't.

Well if he was killed because he is black then it goes in the headline. Like "Gay man killed.", "Overweight boy killed by bullies.".. etc.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
But everyone knows who Stephen Lawrence was, there's no need to keep telling us. I think I just hate journalists.

Let's hope the bastards who killed him finally get sorted.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I think I just hate journalists
The role of the media in the subsequent reporting of the murder of Stephen Lawrence is one of the instances where some good arose; Macpherson report, institutional racism being acknowledged, corruption being uncovered

Dave

Distinguished Member
The role of the media in the subsequent reporting of the murder of Stephen Lawrence is one of the instances where some good arose; Macpherson report, institutional racism being acknowledged, corruption being uncovered

Indeed, had it not been for the (justified for a change) media outrage then the good that has come from the McPherson report may not have happened.

It's also the reason every police officer on the streets is now trained in first aid.

HMHB

Distinguished Member

Very true.

Citizen J

institutional racism being acknowledged

Judging by subsequent documentaries such as the secret policeman this acknowledgement has brought little change, mind you it was a while back.

I use to live next to Stephen Lawrence best friend when I was younger. My mum use to talk his mum then they moved on. I think my mum recognised the son on TV a few times at the trial but I am not sure.

I also went to school near Eltham where the murder took place. You hear all sorts of stuff at the pubs there (so I am lead to believe). It would be good for this to be concluded so everyone including the police can move on.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom