Acoustically Transparent Screens: X3ELS' Implementation

The newer high res fixed panel projectors are much better on a mciroperf screen than the old ones.

A good high resolution example being the new JVC DLA-SX21 D-ILA machine, as compared to a low res Runco DLP with the old 848x600 4:3/16:9 chip.

Would have to agree with Rick on the perforated screen issue. A low pixel fill % will look awful, but DILA should be bearable from a Moire point of view and SXRD should be better. Of course you could always defocus LCD for this.:D

"What projector are you going to use with that expensive screen ?

Your JVC DILA might not be good ?"

I am thinking of using my DILA G10. Although it is almost 5 years old it is still one of the highest resoultion digital projector, but that may also be a good reason to think about the upgrade.

I've enquired with Sony as to when the Sony Qualia 004 SXRD/LCOS/D-ILA projector will be available over here, no word as to when it will appear yet, but I wait with baited breath.

I would expect the next gen of JVC D-ILA's to be running at 1920x1080 native res though. It's just a case of when.:cool:

"I would expect the next gen of JVC D-ILA's to be running at 1920x1080 native res though. It's just a case of when."

I guess it is also 'how much'? This will be a good time to upgrade.

Aye. I'd give them at least 12 to 18 months and around £10k, maybe without a lens. Who knows.

:D

1080p will already fit within the 4:3 panel structure of the higher end DILAs. It's only a matter of time before that trickles down to the low end models.
BTW I'm very much in favour of JVCs use of a 4:3 panel, as you don't lose anything by running them in 720p and gain the ability to shift your 16:9 image up and down on the panel structure.

Still can't see D-ILA touching CRT when it comes to home cinema images.

But when the size issue comes up, it makes a strong case for the much smaller D-ILA/LCD/DLP models.

If you have the room though, good CRT machines often better most cinema's.

JVC are looking at winning a contract for supplying projectors for digital cinema in the UK. They would be using their £140k QX-1 projector.

I beleive the contract is for 250 of them, so keep your eyes peeled.:)

Elliot and I saw the 1080P panelled unit in private demo last September at CEDIA. It was not looking as good as the G150HT in the same room (it was an early proto) if I remember correctly. I think its release is imminent.

The QUALIA thing by Sony was a beautiful piece of industrial design but I am not convinced of image quality yet. Still early days. I have no doubt that CRT's card is marked.

Gordon

Just to round up this thread, I have now installed Screen Research, ClearPix2. The screen is 3m diagonal 16:9 aspect and have all six M&K actives behind.

I am thus far unable to properly differentiate the sound quality with and without the screen being positioned.

Next, item JVC D-ILA HD2K projector...

Hi Branxx,

How is the picture quality of your SR screen compared to the Stewart?

Can you see the weave of the material in bright scenes?

Me and Gordon had a good look at these screens whilst at cedia. I was dissapointed to see the pattern of the screen weave during bright scenes, and not only white scenes but it could be a shot of the sky or sea etc. The fabric pattern appeared as a type of vertical banding which is a shame :thumbsdow

So which is the lesser evil? Stewart microperf with some combing or SR with visual weave?

Raymond,

They are both a compromise. However at EVENT2 we used a micro perf screen. I pointed 5 different resolutions and types of fixed pixel projectors at it. No-one mentioned seeing any moire, During set up only one of the PJ's was causing a problem. I do agree though that it can be and you need to be aware of it.

It was a DILA pj they used in usa at CEDIA. The banding may have been a PJ issue but it looked unlikely to me. It was noticeable on most brightish scenes but the top right corner of the screen you could see the actual material structure without banding. I was surprised. This was not standing in front a foot away, this was sitting down in the sofa they had put out for viewing. I can't comment on sound quality as it was not a great listening environment.

If you need acoustic screen then it's worth investigating as BRANX has.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

I am condemned to use either a Stewart or an SR 110 inch wide 2:35 screen. As an interim solution, projector wise, I plan to get a Pany AE700 or a Sony HS-51 until the HD projectors become more reasonable.

Thanks for your input.

Raymond,

I haven't noticed any side effect on the SR material as yet. My sitting distance is 4m and the structure of the material hasn't caught my eyes. Now when I know what to look for I'll check again.

It is fair to say that the screen is see-thru and certain elements from behind my screen needs to be made less light reflective.

I am still keeping Stewart micro perforated screen just in case I found something I don't like about SR, or until I find interested takers.

Coming after Hi-FI show I listened my cinema system again to a number of the same tracks that were playing in the demo rooms that caught my ear. The screen was on all the time and the sound was just right.

I did "liberated" Usher Audio X-719 for the other room. Very good speaker with even more attractive price.

Thanks Branxx,

Does your SR screen have the additional black backing which they offer?

I hope that knowing what to look for does not ruin you enjoyment of the screen.

Anyway, it will be interesting to read your observations.

Raymond,

I am attaching the picture of the ClearPix2 screen material from the distance of 30cm. Picture is taken with the Nikon Collpix 5000 camera (5megapixels).

To my eyes, in a well light room, the structure of the material is visable up to about 3m. As I mentioned before my seating distance is 4m and I have not yet noticed the fabric of the material during the projection.

Hope this helps (a bit).

NOTE: The colur of the material on the attached image is not correctly transferred on the image. IT IS MAT WHITE.

Attachments

• ClearPix2 Fabric Small.JPG
    ClearPix2 Fabric Small.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 88
Shure does. Thanks for taking the time to do the picture. My viewing distance will be 5 meters. So I guess I am alright.

Thanks again,

Hi all ,

There are 3 sizes of perforation that i know of in a number of surface finishes ( HC Grey / Perlux 1.4 gain / or 1.8 gain )

Data sheets down load Cinema surfaces pdf.

:thumbsup:

Hi Guys ,

saw this thread and couldn't resist making a comment or two.

I think you'll find that Stewart Filmscreen are not the only THX rated screen maker.

There is a British company that makes about 99% of the Cinema screens in the world and has done so for over 70 years that is both THX & Dolby.

In the Cinema world the THX and Dolby experience is enhanced by having the ability to mount the speakers behind the screen and if you are seeking to recreate the 'Real Cinema Experience' at home then it would make sense to mount the speakers in a similar fashion to that of the Real Cinema , but as always it is personal choice.

I am happy to send the data on these materials to anyone who requests them.

Enjoy the view

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom