Answered Acoustically transparent screen placement

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PhilCTTE, Nov 12, 2016.

1. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I was about to purchase a screen this week and the plan is for an in-ceiling motorised 2.9m screen(acoustically transparent) to lower down in front of all my equipment and main LCR speakers as well as the living room TV. About 2.5ft away from back wall.

Foolishly I hadn't considered the transparency issue and it was only mentioned by one dealer this week that you would catch all sorts of reflections from anything placed behind . He stated that one customer had mordant short aluminium inwall speakers which caused big issues with the silver cones reflecting the light.

So looking on these forums I haven't seen any installs which are similar to how I want mine and probably for good reason. i would have to drape covers over the tv, but I'm now wondering about my Martin Logan summits electro stats which although are black the membrane is quite reflective ...

Anyone resolved these issues or have you all gone inwall ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Plan b would mean loosing a meter width to a 2m screen which would fit in between speakers .. and wall mount the tv ..would save 1k or more if it was a fixed screen, but there would be compromises

Thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by Mo Better Blues, Nov 12, 2016 (1 points)
  3. Mo Better Blues

Mo Better Blues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    Best Answer
    If I read and understand your post correctly then frankly there is no transparency issue.

AT screens normally have a second backing layer to stop any reflections.

I have one as have many others.

4. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,720
    I have an XTZ Cinema M6 centre speaker placed behind my CentreStage XD acoustically transparent screen and the gloss surface of this speaker can occasionally be seen reflecting back if you have the covers off.

5. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Didn't realise there was a backing layer . Might ask about returns before buying. Will give them another call.
    The major issue would be the plasma then the diaphragms of the electrostatic panels .
    Thanks for replies.
    The other pain is trying to get in ceiling mounts for the screen...cost wise it's another £1000 ...supply and demand I suppose