Acoustic solutions fault issue

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hammertime1503, Dec 30, 2011.

1. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Not sure if im in right forum cause im new to this site.
    I have a 42" acoustic solutions TV that was given me as the screen wont come on, the standy button came on but no picture,

i surfed google and this site popped up and i read to open the back and look at the capacitors which i have and if they are sticking up and any signs of black leakage, that could be my problem.

So i followed these instructions and sure enough i think i have found at least 2 like this, here are pictures:

2. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry couldn't get pic to upload but was wondering where i would get these capacitors fro, have they got to be exactly the same, and is it just a case of removing faulty ones and soldering new ones on to cicuit board??

Thanks if anyone can help

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Maplin : Sale Now On is probably the best place to go, as they have branches all over.
    The caps will have to be the right value, but higher voltage/temperature ones are usually ok.
    It may just be a case of replacing the caps, but they might have taken something else out with them.

It might be worth a go, seeing as the telly is knacked anyway.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    How old is this set?

5. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies, im not sure how old the set is, my mates mom said i could have it cheap (£50) and i thought it would be worth it if i can fix it cheap.
    @Badger0-0, what do u mean by right value mate as i am dense wiv electronics? ha

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    "Value" as in "Capacitance value"
    Report back with what's printed on them ignoring the makers name.
    The value in µF and the working voltage (V)...also the circuit reference no printed next to them on the circuit board as in "Cxxx"
    If you can upload the pictures that would help and the model no taken from the rear label?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    No worries.

Just be aware that if we're talking about the power supply board, Caps can hold a charge, which will give you a right shock.

I've no problem with you having a go, but you really need to be well informed mate, before you just dip in.

8. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cheers people ill crack it back open in hour or so and have a look and see if i can get some pics uploaded cause it wouldn't let me earlier

9. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Be aware that the bits inside a tv can hold a lethal charge for hours after the set has been turned off. Touch the wrong bit with the wrong part of you and you can be very dead

If you are not electronic savvy then please leave well alone and either get it properly repaired or get another

10. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    image-2098464135.jpg

image-1388231123.jpg

image-811329422.jpg

Here are the pics of the inside of my TV, the bottom one are what I think are capacitors that are faulty, could these be the reason why the TV don't work and is it easily fixable??

The circuit ref I think are as follows: c818 and. C857
    The model number is LCD42761HDF
    The value is 4700uf and 6.3v and both the ones that looked damaged are the same.
    Thanks 4 your help everyone

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  11. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Can I suggest you take this to a local tv engineer? For £25 or so he will tell you what the problem is and how much it will cost to fix it. At that point you can decide if it's worth going ahead

It cannot be reasonable to try to decide from photos if capacitors are faulty or not but, equally, have you any experience of accurate and competent soldering, assuming you identify which ones are faulty? Do you have a good soldering iron? Can you efficiently remove a faulty capacitor without damaging the board?

All the time remembering you'll probably pay more to buy the stuff you need than a good tv engineer will charge for the whole job!

12. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @961, i appreciate what you are saying but i live in a small town where there is one repair guy who charges £20 just to diagnose it, i was gonna buy this TV off a friend but only if i could get it done for £100 all in and i figure if these capacitors are faulty anyway it wont hurt changing them if there is a chance that it could get the tv working, i wouldn't attemt the job myself as i have no clue what to do with a solderind Iron!!
    But i do know people who know what they are doing so would it not be worth having a go do u think,my boss can solder, he fixed my machine at work by soldering wires together, but is it a different kettle of fish to solder cicuit boards?? I do not know and to be honest am clueless with anything like that?
    Thanks

13. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Those caps are definitely faulty. As to whether they're the cause of the fault you won't know until they're replaced.
    All you can do is get the replacement caps (6.3v or 10v ones will be suitable) but make sure they're temperature rated at 105*c (it'll be printed on them) and unplug the connectors from the power pcb (Make sure the power is removed before you start) and unscrew the board and take it to someone who can solder/desolder neatly.

14. hammertime1503

hammertime1503
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Jaycee , thanks for the advice mate, I'll defo have a go ( well someone who can solder will! ) , I'm sure it's at least worth a try cause I had a look on eBay and them capacitor thingys are about £2 for ten!
    I'll put an update on here next week to see if it works. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks for everyone's help, happy new year!!

15. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Take note of the connectors and mark them so you know which ones go where.
    Good luck and let us know the outcome.
    Happy New Year.