Acoustic Solutions DVDRW300 - help required to set it up

Mskiv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have had the above DVD player for about 2 years but never bothered to set it up to record (the kids were happy just watching their DVDs on it, which it did fine).

However, we now have portable DVD players for the car and the kids want to record off the TV but we cannot get it to tune in. We have Virgin cable V+ box and I'm failry certain the scart leads are positioned correctly, but when we run through the initial set up on the DVD controls, it cannot locate a channel. I think we've tried almost every permutation of settings but still nothing works.

Needless to say, when I phoned the helpline number on the instruction manual, I was played some lovely music but no-one answered, hence the reason I am resorting to the forum.

Hope someone out there can help

You will need to use a line input eg scart this bypasses the tuner. If it has an automatic tuner it will just be looking for something from the ariel. If the tuner is not digital ther would be nothing anyway.

Thanks for the advice

Both the scart sockets are taken (one going to the TV and the other to the Virgin V+ box) and the link to the antenna is via the TV antenna/DVD input. I'm guessing this may not be right?

When the DVD player is turned on, the message on the fuzzy screen states 'SOURCE Tuner (no signal) HQ MONO' which makes very little sense to me. When I then go back to the DVD player factory settings and run the initial set up it doesn't find any channels.

I know it's probably a simple fix but I'm really struggling to solve it.

All further suggestions/advice welcomed

The 2 scarts may be labled eg tv and then something else. they may both take sound and picture in and out. However there can be other complications. For example the tv out scart may have a variable volume level the other may not. You dont need the aeial lead if you are not bothered about freeview. Make sure the scart from the virgin is putting out a picture by linking it to a tv set. then remove from tv put in to dvd recorder find the button eg source, line input. (could have different names) press record. if the dvd is linked to the tv you can see the picture via tv's dvd input so virgin box to dvd. dvd to TV With correct input buttons pressed.

I have removed the aerial as you suggested. The scart from the V+ box is putting out a picture. I then removed it and put it in the DVD player but when I pressed record, nothing happened (fuzzy screen due to no channels being tuned in).

I also tried various other scart combinations but all to no avail. I assume I'm using the correct input button since there is only one source that actually shows the DVD set up menu on the TV screen (which comes up as either ext 1 or ext 2, depending on which scart socket is being used)

if you have the dvd menu on your tv screen you know the tv can read the dvd output. I am sure there will be a switch on dvd player or remote or both that will switch between its line inputs (that is scarts) forget the tuner forget trying to tune anything in.

That seems to have done the trick so thanks for all your help. The only problem I then encountered was that the stuff I recorded wasn't able to be played back on the portable DVD players (but that was probably due to the poor quality of the discs - I will get some better quality DVD-RW discs tomorrow and see if that solves the problem). Thanks again for your help and happy new year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom