Acoustic Solutions ASTV-3619WS

neilsafc

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5292040/Trail/C%24cip%3D42492.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D42582.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D42589.HD%2BLCD%2Band%2Bplasma%2Btelevisions%3EFC%24Brands%3DAcoustic+Solutions.Acoustic%2BSolutions.htm

Hope the link works.
Anyway im after a 19"/20" HD ready flat screen tele for my XBOX360. The current DMTECH one I have is rubbish for the 360 and I have seen this at a decent price at argos, Ideally I would like it to be able to link to my sky remote so can you get a code for this?

Is this a good deal or is there better out there? Im not really interested in the dvd player part as I want the HD Dvd player the 260 will be bringing out so any advice would be great.

Cheers

This is probably a bit late for you, but I picked up the astv-3619WS yesterday from Argos, its down to £145 in their sale. I was apprehensive at first since in the catalogue its listed as 1336x800, but the unit I got is 1440x900. I was worried that the image would be all distorted and horrid from the upscaling and being out of aspect ratio. However I'm pleased to report that my fears were unfounded, I'm really impressed with the set. I think for the price it is a very good TV.

hdtvdashboard.jpg

hdtvforza.jpg

hdtvmasseffectwelome.jpg

hdtvwrex.jpg

hdtvwrex2.jpg

Apologies for the small pictures, I can provide bigger ones one request. At the moment I have it hooked up via Component at 720p, though I am tempted to try out VGA to get the 360 upsclaing it internally to something a little closer to the TVs native resolution, and of course I'd get upscaled DVDs. I wouldn't mind trying HDMI as well to see if it will accept PC mode.

Just brought the ASTV-36192C from Argos, there are some comments about it on hotukdeals:-

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/153342/acoustic-solutions-19-hd-ready-digi/

It has intergrated freeview, with HDMI, VGA, component, SCART, S-Video and composite inputs.

I brought it for my kitchen, mainly to listen to 5-live, but also with the option to watch something whilst I prepare food. It fits on top of my microwave, I would have prefered a 1366x768 screen but anything bigger would not have squeezed under the shelf..............and its only for the kitchen (I am not made of money!).

It has a 1440x900 screen (16:10 ratio), so some distortion to 16:9 material. It has a large bezel, and this may house laptop style backlights, as there is bleed from all 4 sides. The speakers aren't too bad, ok for the kitchen. Freeview interface is ok, and scanned all my local channels.

The freeview picture can be a bit grainy, my 42X3030D Toshiba is better, but that does have some mpeg and nosie reduction settings.

PC input via VGA, 1440x900@60hz is ok, fairly clear, but not 1:1 perfect, some moire when looking at a test grid. I could not get 50Hz to work via VGA (or 48Hz).

PC input via HDMI, 1440x900@60Hz and 50Hz worked, but the TV thought this was 1080i, and there was some flicker, so I think my video card was scaling to the EDID 1080i size. It was better at 1280x720p with 60hz fullscreen, but at 50hz some overscan. I would stick to VGA if you want to use it as a monitor.

I may set up a long VGA cable to the kitchen in the future, but for the moment its just going to be used for freeview.

I paid £129.99 for which I am happy with the performance, but I cannot recommend it if you want to use it full time as a PC monitor, as it has both poor pixel mapping and overscans at 50Hz.

The video quality from my PC with 720p/1080p sourced material (at 1440x900 VGA) was quite impressive. The default brightness and contrast settings (50) are fine.

Attachments

• 139997.jpg
    139997.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 232
Thanks for the minireview RockySpieler;,

Like many cheap LCD's its probably from a PC-monitor production line that's just added the TV elements (just as many cheap DVD players used DVDROM's). So that;d explain the screen ratio & bezel size. Does it only support 50Hz & 60Hz? To use as a monitor you may prefer a higher frequency.

I was thinking of one for the bedroom, for occasional use. Replacing my existing 17" monitor would be nice but tbh I usually would be wanting to use the pc at the same time.

Can the screen be switched off if you're just listening to the radio?

Got this today for the bedroom. Will be used just as a TV - very pleased with it and a steal at £129 from Argos.

Thanks for the minireview RockySpieler;,

Like many cheap LCD's its probably from a PC-monitor production line that's just added the TV elements (just as many cheap DVD players used DVDROM's). So that;d explain the screen ratio & bezel size. Does it only support 50Hz & 60Hz? To use as a monitor you may prefer a higher frequency.

I was thinking of one for the bedroom, for occasional use. Replacing my existing 17" monitor would be nice but tbh I usually would be wanting to use the pc at the same time.

Can the screen be switched off if you're just listening to the radio?

Nicch

I cannot see anyway to turn off the display whilst listening to freeview radio.

The manual does not give a list of PC resolutions/refreshrates, but I am pretty sure 60hz is the maximum (It is in the kitchen, so I cannot check it with a PC).

As an update I am still happy with my purchase, £129.99 is a cheap price, at the orginal £199.99 I would have to check out the reviews of alternatives.

Also KUDOS to you guys for using the SEARCH facility and not starting a new thread.

I cannot see anyway to turn off the display whilst listening to freeview radio.
Guess I was hoping for too much, but worth asking if you used it mainly for radio. The small speakers give an okay output then (akin to say a portable radio??)

The manual does not give a list of PC resolutions/refreshrates, but I am pretty sure 60hz is the maximum (It is in the kitchen, so I cannot check it with a PC).
A lot of basic monitors tend to support 60Hz & 75Hz and higher the better for PC monitors, so probably not bast as a main monitor.

As an update I am still happy with my purchase, £129.99 is a cheap price, at the orginal £199.99 I would have to check out the reviews of alternatives.

Also KUDOS to you guys for using the SEARCH facility and not starting a new thread.
Cheers :smashin:. There are a few in the sub £300 bracket and I was looking at either the Humax LGB19DTT for £209 as its a bigger speaker unit or the Samsung LE19R86BDX at £249, but really in no rush to buy (I'd been waiting for the sub £150 17" models to come out :rolleyes:)

Hi, i just bought the Acoustic Solutions 19in ASTV-3619WS off ebay - guy said it's an ex-display model. I tuned in the 'normal' 5 tv channels but there's no manual and i can't see how to set up the freeviewl!!!

Also i had a look here - ASTV 3619WS ACOUSTIC SOLUTIONS replacement remote control @ £12.89 only - tv television video vcr dvd UK europe - and the remote i got looks nothing like it!

Does anyone else's remote look like this? I don't mind having something a bit different - just as long as it all works properly!

AND i would be eternally grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a manual - or just tell me how they set there's up for Freeview.

(yes - i will get on to the ebay seller too)

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Easy way to check, click the 'function' button on the remote (top left corner) and select DTV. However, if DTV is not there then you do not have freeview built-in (The astv-3619WS does not have freeview built-in, the astv-3619C did)

That remote looks nothing like mine either, its probably a third party controller.

Thanks, DTV is there in the list so maybe i was quoted the wrong model. I'll have a proper look at the label on the back now!

Did you have to scan first to setup the Freeview? I've got the menu button on the remote and it brings up Picture settings, Audio settings, and general settings.

When it's switched to 'normal' TV it has options to auto scan like a standard telly. But when i switch to DTV i can't seem to find any setup options.

Thanks for your reply! :smashin:

"The astv-3619WS does not have freeview built-in, the astv-3619C did"
according to sionyboy and so if you have a
astv-3619WS then you do not have freeview!

Checked the label - turns out it's an ASTV 36192C - ID. DTV is in the list of functions on screen and i've plugged an old Freeview box in and it gets all the channels!

I get terrestrial and teletext fine.

I think i'm missing something in the setup for Freeview? although the only 'Reset' options seem to be for basic picture settings, sound and language stuff.

The on-screen overlay for each Freeview channel comes up but it says 'No Information' for them.

Maybe i can reset some other way, or force Freeview to scan for channels. Unless the Freeview is buggered!

PS. on DTV it says "No Signal" - but other freeview boxes work. What does anyone out there do in the menu to scan for Freeview channels?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom