Acoustic Solutions 551 'locking up'

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by House, Dec 16, 2003.

1. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, I am using an Acoustic Solutions DVD 551 as a second player in the bedroom.

It has just started 'locking up' after playing for about 15 mins. It powers up ok, starts to play and after approx 15 mins the picture on the tv is like it is paused. You cannot access the machine at all by any buttons other than the power button - stop, menu etc.. just don't do anything.

When you power it back on it is still inaccessibale and only loads a disk again after being left for another 15 mins or so.

This is true for several different disks.

The unit is 18 months old, little use, bought from RS. I spoke to them and they said they'd have a look for £35 - yeah right !.

Any ideas or advice on what to do ?

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I am impressed that it lasted that long. My self and peterc (another forum member) have gone through 3 of these before giving up. The electronics and the laser pick up appear to be the Achilles heel. The dvd drive itself appears to be an IDE computer unit. We managed to make 1 useable machine out of them, although this snatches the disc tray as you try and load or remove a disk. Unless RS can guarantee a fix, I would put the £35 towards a decent player. We chose a Panasonic and a Toshiba. The biggest gutter is that the 551 produces stunning pictures when they work. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Regards, Mylo:)

3. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's what I expected to hear !

I guess I'll bin it then.

Off to search for the best budget player !