1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Solutions £20 surround speakers - anyone heard these

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jon_mendel, May 23, 2005.

1. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    You havent mentioned what hi-fi you have - I have never heard the system but I am doubtful how good it will sound having heard a number of similar types of systems in the past.

Looking at acoustic solutions website they only appear to advertise it as coming with a DVD player so RS may be splitting them up.

Also the system requires your DVD player to have a built in decoder and then 6 phono cables will need to go from the DVD player to the sub - which will limit placement.

Looking at the manual:

http://www.acousticsolutions.net/PRODUCTS/IMS/AS150.pdf

The sub is 30 watts and each speaker 15 watts so it isnt going to be too loud

At £20 can you really complain? it will give you a taste of what 5.1 sound can sound like and you can probably sell it on ebay for about the same as you paid for it afterwards.

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry - I've got a Cambridge a500 amp and DVD300 going into some mission 733i speakers- so I presume the sound on the acoustic speakers won't be as good (though I think I could still use my mission speakers as fronts) Just dithering about whether these will give me a useful taste of 5.1, or if there'll just annoy me ;) I guess I couldn't complain too much at the price, but £20 is still an expensive paperweight...

Jon

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    it would be difficult to continue using your missions unless your DVD player has a volume control (which very few do) as the sub in the AS system will be seriously under powered to drive the missions and having 2 amps working without a common preamp with volume control will be a nightmare to get equal volume levels from all speakers.

2ndly it is exceptionally important that your front 3 speakers match so using the AS centre with your missions may not actually sound as good 'over all' as the effect of using the 3 AS speakers at the front dispite the fact the missions are clearly going to be better quality to the AS.

5. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think a member called Jase uses these in his system. Maybe he'll spot this and pass comment. :)

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers. I *think* my DVD lets you adjust volume on different speakers, but yeah - my missions probably won't match the satellites...

Jon

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932

:mad: :D