Acoustic screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by karaokeklive, May 6, 2001.

1. karaokeklive

karaokeklive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to replace my electric home cinema screen with a new one.
    However, I need the screen to be acoustically transparent i.e. I want to place my speakers behind the screen.

The screen would need to be purpose made need to fit a width of 89" but with a 84" viewing area. The box housing the screen could be a "standard" 8ft box as there would be no problem accommodating the box.

Any ideas???

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    Stewart and Vu-Tec do acoustic screens as do mAny other manufacturers I guess. They are both very accomodating and will supply screens to your specs re-viewable area/drop/border size.

My only caveat would be that if you are using a fixed panel display like an LCD/DLP projector that you get a sample of the material (big if poss) and check that you don't see any patterning.

This is because the material between the holes and the gaps between the pixels can often cause an inteference pattern which can seriously ruin the picture. You want to find out before getting the thing in the house. If you've got a crt though you are pretty much elected!

Gordon

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clive,
    Gordon is right, I've seen some disasters with LCD images thrown on perf screens.
    Another thing to consider is the brightness of your projector. A perforated screen eats approx 10% of your brightness. If your projector in plenty bright and you can control ambient light you should be ok.
    One more thing. How good is your eyesight. I,ve looked at an install whereby a Stewart Micro perf (The best on the market) together with a Sony G70 (CRT) was used and from the correct viewing distance of 12/13 feet could clearly see pixel like spots (the holes) . Ok my eyesight is dam good but I for one couldent live with that.
    Have a good think about this and maybe ask for some samples for a trial in the meantime.

Eric