1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic foam - more the merrier?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by daninthemix, Sep 11, 2003.

1. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mods - feel free to move if this thread is sited wrongly. I figured speakers...room acoustics. Peas and carrots. Anyho...

My question is - is it a good idea to liberally stick acoustic foam panels onto doors, windows, walls etc. Presumably the more of this stuff you have, the more you are increasing the direct-to-reflected sound ratio in the former's favour?

A room smothered in this stuff would be kindof similar to an anechoic chamber?

Any input appreciated.

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't want to go over the top, loo low a reverberation time and the room/sound system will sound dead and lifeless. There is a happy medium I just buggered if I can find it.

Tip of the day If you are not aware of any problems with your system/room etc don’t go looking for some, You will undoubtedly find some and it will only annoy you, Ignorance is bliss.

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I think the general idea (at least It seem to make sense to me) is that you use just enough to treat whatever problem you have. I've been in a room smothered in foam and it's horrible, 'dead' is the word for it. IIRC reverb times of .5 sec or just over are what you're supposed to be aiming at.

Spreading the absorbers around is a good method. As you get a good mix between absorbant/reflective surfaces and the exposed edges of the foam give more surface area. Arranging the panels in attactive patterns is required :)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Agreed: too much absorption makes it sound dead. Diffusers as well as absorbers are useful.

(My suspicion is that more absorption is appropriate for 5.1 than is the case for stereo music).

Also remember that acoustic foam is rarely much use for absorbing bass frequencies, so if you get too gung ho about it you can end up with a sound that's all bass and no treble.

5. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicB - that's a good piece of advice. Bass is a very strange thing anyway - what sounds perfect sitting on the sofa is all bass and nothing else if you're by the door at the side of the room. Trouble is, bass traps are so damn expensive! Thanks for the replies peeps....