1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Equalisers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jase, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Is anyone using one of these devices, they would seem the logical choice for those that cant use acoustic tiling etc (for whatever reason, WAF etc)

They seem to vary in price from hundreds up to thousands. The only drawback I can see is they seem to be designed for use with Pre/Power combos and not integrated amps.

The only way I can think of getting them to work with integrated amps would be to connect the pre-outs into the Equaliser and then the Equaliser outputs BACK into the 5.1 inputs (7.1 in Denons case) of the amp.

Anybody think of any problems in doing this and could anyone point me in the right direction for these equalisers??

I´ve come across this one

http://smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/Audiocontrol_2/index.html

and this

http://www.techsys.co.kr/techsyskits/kits/k4302.htm

There was another but its about 10000 dollars!!

Any thoughts??

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, I've had thoughts about this – I did request to DENON that perhaps the Pre-out and 8 CH EXT IN 2 be reconfigured into "Adaptor Mode" where by an external equaliser could be used.

The paradox is that the pre-outs simply convey whatever the source is set to, i.e. EXT IN. If the EXT IN had the pre-outs wired to them, there'd be no sound!

I'll post to DenonJeff that this may be a good idea for the future.

Mark

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    What about this?

http://www.clarityeq.com/pdc26.html

It turned up on the Tag web site yesterday. Not 7.1 but does it hint at the future? I do like the idea of a digital solution to this but along with Joachim has worries about Jitter etc. Now if Tag or others could install this technology into the new breed for AV processor with super SHARCs then it might be a real possibility. The latest SHARCs appear to have all the horsepower necessary to do this in the digital domain.

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wow Nic, that looks superb.
    Controlled through the PC?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    These things appear to be able to be daisey chained so you can buy a initial 2 chanel unit and then add more units to go upto 7.1.:D

As I said do everything with excess!

Initial reports on the web are promising (picked up a Stereophile award at the big show).

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yep, just read that too. Looking good!

7. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TacT already has a Prosessor that has a simular feature.
    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2001/technologies/page_03.shtml
    best site i could find, couldn't fint a TACT web page.
    I know someone who sells these and one of the people at the shop had this home for a test, and you could use a PC to control it, but it wasn't easy. Never heard how it went though.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Thats exactly the sort of thing I´m after, nice one Nic!!

If its possible to nail the acoustic problems we should have superb sound (in theory!).

Hopefully the likes of Denon, Tag etc will look into this sort of thing, like Pioneer have on their flagship amps, I was seriously considering ditching my A1SE and going for the Pioneer because of its acoustic calibration feature. But I think I´d rather add something like the ClarityEQ (if its possible, may not be after what Mark has said)

What sort of money are we talking for it?? Anybody know??

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me if I am preaching to initiated.

One thing to remember with using EQ to balance your speakers to your room is to adhear to the "ISO curve".

The ISO curve specifies that when setting the EQ with pink noise you need to start rolling off the treble at about 3kHz, and the bass needs to be rolled of simarly as well (can't remember the frequency off the top off my head).
    The reason for this is that the the human ear percieves different pitches at different volumes. For example a tone at say 800 Hz @ 75 SPL will not "seem" to sound as loud as a tone played at 10 kHz @ 75 SPL although both would be at the same level.
    So if you were to set the EQ totally flat from 20Hz to 20kHz using a microphone and a spectrum analyser you would in effect be making the room too trebly and too bassy. The ISO curve therefore would be a curve at each end of the audio spectrum with the midrange in the middle being the flatish bit (pink noise is never totally ruler flat).
    This practise is standard (or should be) in every cinema, recording studio, and dubbing theatre.

These amps that you mention that auto calibrate themselves I assume follow the ISO curve so you would need to not worry. You only need to be aware of this when going alone with an out board piece of equipment like a paramtric EQ, graphic EQ or active cross overs.

Sorry for being a bit vague on the details, it was along time ago since I was told about them!. I'm sure there is plently of information out there, on the web.

10. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to repeat Jase's question if I may, is anybody using one of these and what results are you getting.

Chip

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    We are all doing the research waiting for someone else:D

It is an expensive business, with a new house (new AV room planned in the barn:) I don'thave the disposable income I once had. Personally I think the route for these devices is in the AV processor with a mic imput, so we are not quite there yet (i.e. ALL digital) but I'm tempted

12. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase

A low cost solution to try (about £100) is the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro. It's primary function is to combat feedback when used for live performances, however, because it's a fully adjustable digital parametric equaliser it's gaining popularity in the home cinema field for use is correcting the frequency response of sub woofers.

www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DSP1124P&lang=eng

www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

13. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Thanks for that GaryG

I´ve got their Spanish Office´s number, I´ll give them a buzz later.

Seems good value, are you using one??

cheers

14. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase

I have one, but have not had the time to connect it to my system yet (it's only been on the floor a month, that's not long for me!). I bought it in the UK for about £95 + delivery, there is a thread on this site with the details somewhere. In my case, I specifically bought it to equalise the response of my loft mounted IB sub which is not as flat as I would like so I'm afraid I wont be able to give you any info about it's use in a full range system.

15. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    The spanish number turns out to be a fax which gets redirected to Germany, so I´m waiting for an answer on delivery etc

I´ll have to use it for the sub only as according to what I´ve been reading on other threads its not suitable for adjusting the rest of the system (speakers etc).

Also as my amp is integrated it wont work with it anyway, if you have a Pre/Power combo then it would.