1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Energy Speaker made in UK or Made in China, India??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ciber, Jan 15, 2004.

1. ciber

ciber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

2. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    From their website:

--------------------------------
    Acoustic Energy Limited was founded in 1987 and originally based in West London before relocating to its current 15,000 sq. ft. facility in the Cotswolds.

Since the company's relocation in 1995, AE has formed a strategic alliance with a large manufacturing and purchasing facility based in the Far East. This alliance has enabled AE to focus attention on further growth objectives.
    --------------------------------

Sounds like they are made made in the East

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that is management speak for "We don't actually make anything ourselves but have it all made for us by a company in Taiwan"

4. ciber

ciber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, made in Tanwan!
    I just wonder why it marked "made in UK" at the back of the speaker? Is it trying to fool us?

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I had a set of the AE101 which were 'engineered in the uk' and IIRC built in Malaysia. Very solid and well made.

If it says made in the UK then that's where they are made.

Though how much stuff these days is 'made' in the UK when most parts are imported and just assembled here is something else.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The AE100 series was (is) made in Malaysia.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a look at the website of the Taisonic speaker factory in Taiwan which is here with particular interest to their list of major customers which may contain some surprises.

There is also a selection of interesting pictures of the insides of a Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer on this site which clearly shows "assembly" tags that aren't written in English.

Is it done to fool us - of course or else why else would they try and pretend that the products are made in America or Britain when at most they have just assembled a few parts.

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure bloke from acoustic energy told me that evo are made in malaysia, aelite i thought he said UK
    and the ae1 and ae3 are built to order.

9. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I believe that you can claim "made in UK" if the bulk of the "value" was added by UK processing. So if you get a speaker built for four quid in the far east, but add an instruction book in the UK and sell for forty quid, you can in fact say "made in UK" on the back.

Where big subsidies are riding on it, large companies have been known to "launder" subassemblies through subsidiaries to elevate the end product to "made in UK" or "made in USA" status.

Stupid example: The rules say 90% UK content required. you are importing speakers for £100 a pair from China. So A buys the left speakers from you for 10 quid and sells them back to you for 90 quid, certified UK manufactured. B buys the right speakers for 90 quid and sells them back to you for ten quid (still Chinese). You put them back in pairs and certify them UK manufactured! Next month A&B swap over, to keep the accounts straight.

I beleive this situation has been tightened up a bit, but there's still room to play, especially with complex products and multiple product lines.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All in the name of conning the consumer :(