Question Acoustic Energy Radiance upgrade for Anthem MRX

davisa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently running an Anthem MRX510 with Acoustic Energy Radiance 1's for front and a Radiance centre (and older AE's for surround duties). Mounted on oak stands filled with shot. A BK Gemini II adds a bit of low end.

They sound great and I've always liked the sound from the Acoustic Energy's. But since upgrading to the Anthem I can't help but feel they are holding back the system a bit.

Here's the rub, replacements need to be stand mounts and preferably in oak. The Wife will not accept floor standers and the oak stands do look good. The speakers also need to work well close to the wall as the room is only 12ft deep.

I use the system about 50% music, 50% films/TV.

The AE's were about £600/pair so budget is perhaps £1K for the right speakers, plus extra for the centre. Any ideas? I'm going round and round in circles and could do with some pointers :)

Maybe something like the Kef LS50 or Monitor Audio Gold series?
The PMC Twenty 21 would be great but well over budget unless can get some secondhand.

Maybe something like the Kef LS50 or Monitor Audio Gold series?
The PMC Twenty 21 would be great but well over budget unless can get some secondhand.
Good suggestions.

I had already considered the Kef R300, but the LS50 look interesting and get gushing reviews. Not sure if the lack of front grill will be a show stopper for the wife. I might get away with black/blue combo.

The PMC's get excellent reviews and I've seen a few ex-demo's around. Still over budget but I'm very keen on hearing some.

Monitor Audio I hadn't considered. Don't know a lot about them.

Anyone have an opinion on the Sonus Faber Toy as an upgrade to the AE's? I'm aware they have recently been replaced so prices are good. Not sure if they would be thought of as an upgrade or not? Certainly the Grand Piano's (which I have heard) sound great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom