Acoustic Energy EVO 3B

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by macker_s, Aug 11, 2006.

1. macker_s

macker_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi All,

I am thinking of going with the Acoustic Energy EVO 3B 5.1 set where the going price seems to be £599 and I will hook them up to my Yamaha V2600.

I am in the process of finding somewhere local that I can demo the speakers before I make the choice and wondered if anyone else has these and what you're thoughts are about these speakers ?

Also with regards to connecting them up if I buy a roll of QED cable and connectors how easy it is put the connectors on the cables is any soldering required ?

Sorry for the simple question but this is my first set of better quality speakers and I don't want to skimp on the cables :)

Best regards,
    Mackers

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165

Don't bother spending any more than £2/m for something like the Van Damme Blue cable from Maplins - it's excellent cable, 2.5mm2 cross-sectional area so is good for long-ish runs (no need to worry for domestic installations that is). If the QED cable you're considering is similar spec and cheaper, then go with that.

You can get screw-on banana plugs for convenience, but bare wire is no worse - just make sure you do not have any loose strands that could cause a short.

Basically, don't spend a fortune on cables.

Spend any money saved on more CD/DVDs!

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,363
  4. macker_s

macker_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the tips on the connectors and cables that helped loads :thumbsup:

5. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Had a similar setup for the last year or so :thumbsup:.

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Same here, though just upgraded. The Evo's are excellent for the price. At that price they're a steal.

Of course I'd have to condone getting a demo at a place knowing that if you like them you'd be buying them from perhaps an online retailer such as superfi:nono: . This is of course for another topic (Pretty sure there's one open):)

Dan.

7. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How are you finding the Monitor Audio Rs6's in comparison?

8. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    The MA RS6's do beat the Evo Threes by quote a league.

The whole freq range is clearer with great definition on the bass too with the RS6's.

The Evo's were slightly bassier and while I would in no way say the bass was in any way wooly, the RS6's handle the subtleties of any music passing through them with more distinction. The Evo's could also play extremely loud without losing quality, I'm going to see if the RS series can keep up with a bit of loud music next week sometime (will be well within spec of course)

I think the Evo's had a wider sounstage, whereas the RS's rely a bit more on positioning carefully. This may be at least partly due to the Evo's having a silk dome tweeter that sticks out beyond the point of the front of the cabinet.

The finish on the Evo's is ok, but RS series pretty stunning. Don't expect the evo light maple to appear to be wood, but only at close inspection will you see it's clearly veneer.

Given a choice I of course prefer the RS6's, but the Evo's were a stunning buy on the way to where I am now. I don't regret for a single moment buying them, using them for a year and going onto the next logical step for me.

Partner both sets of speakers carefully. The NAD/Evo combo which was slightly laid back for what I realise my current taste is. Just thought I missed a little extra detail off the top end comapred to the RS6's.

Then again, I demo'd the RS1's with a Mid-range Denon reciever as my first proper demo of the rs series and felt it was slightly too clinical and I missed some of the warmth I had coming from both the NAD and the Evo side of things. Although an improvement over my evo's, I knew kind of how my NAD a/v reciever would affect the sound and when I got back home I'd guessed right.

Slightly warm T753 and slightly bright MA speakers were perfect match for me.

MA RS and that exact Denon reciever lacked a bit of warmth for me, though I hear many have various Denon/RS combo and love it

From Yamaha recievers I've heard I'd say likely Evo's would partner great anyway as they normally favour clarity to warmth from ones I can think of hearing but demo yam/evo combo if can.

If the RS series is at the very limit of your budget, then I'd be suprised if you'd be anything but happy with the evo's for the price. £599 is just silly money for such value.

Wow. Did I write all that?:eek: Hope you weren't looking for the short and sharp response :D

Dan.

9. cantona.no7

cantona.no7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    macker let me know if you would be interested in an evo package in cherry all in good condition would throw in some silver anniversary cabling as well.

10. macker_s

macker_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Contano,

Thanks for the offer but the maple will just not fit in with the rest of the furniture :).

But I hope you would not mind to answer the following two questions as you have the speakers in you set-up :lease:

1) Exactly how many banana plugs do a need for the 5.1 bi-wire setup, I think I have calculated 24 am I correct ?

2) Could you explain to me the advantage of bi-wiring and how it is done (sorry for the numpty question but bi-wire is new to me) with these speakers, or is it worth doing at all ?

Best regards,
    Mackers

11. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Regards,

Dan.

12. macker_s

macker_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Dan,

Sorry for the confusion what I actaully meant to say was with spare two channels that I have (using only 5.1 instead of 7.1 that thw 2600 can do) is there any advantage in Bi-ware the front speakers only ?

In this case I would then only need 20 banana plugs as the sub (as you correctly pointed out) would use the RCA, is that correct ? (just trying to get organised in advance :) )

Cheers,
    Mackers

13. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i bought mine AE EVo3b for about a year and a half now and im pretty much loving it :) ive got it connected to the HTPC, panny s97 and my GC.

I bought mine for about £700 but the price you quoted its a good price.
    when i got mine there were no cables but is that normal? these are the first speaker set ive bought. I bought mine without having to demo them.

I think the year after year it won awards in what Hi-Fi awards and from the users from here i pretty much was convinced it was the best for the budget i had :~)

my thanks to the AVForums, i love my EVO, but going to have to leave them at home as im moving upto glasgow in sept. gonna miss them boohoo, my sister said they are too big for the house :(

14. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Sorry about delay there mate.

As far as I've hear I think you can do the biwire to front channels on this a/v amp as an option in the config. Please bear in mind I've never used one of these and don't know for sure, but part of me is thinking I've seen this on the forums here - Pls check rather than taking that as a yes though:)

Evo's I'm sure would benefit from a little extra available power to draw on if needbe from being bi-amped like this.

Sub for movies would be using rca interconnect. Mark Grant in cables forums would be able to make one sized to order if fits your price range. Well worth a look.

Dan.