1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Energy EVO 3 owners plz read.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dfour, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I was reading the manual for the evo series and it said about mass loading the speakers as this makes a large amount of difference to the bass. So I set out investigating this. I got to the end and pulled out the plug in the bottom of the speaker and found it mass loaded already. I emailed AE and got this reply.

Dear Sir,

There was a misprint in the manual.

The Evo 3 loudspeakers are mass loaded from the factory with the optimum amount of mass loading, there is no need to change this.

--
    Will Fisher,
    Customer Support Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltd,
    16 Bridge Road,
    Cirencester,
    Gloucestershire,
    GL7 1NJ

Tel: +44 (0)1285 654432 x235
    Fax: +44 (0)1285 654430
    Web: www.acoustic-energy.co.uk

I hope this helps anyone who was wondering about it.
    :lesson:

2. rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, mine are the same, already pre-loaded

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    And mine :)

4. desmondo

desmondo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Found exactly the same thing!

That's one whole big paragraph of misprint! It even goes on to explain what to fill it with!

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was something they originally only did on higher models AE505/509 so probably made the decision to include when they discovered how much it improves the sound!

6. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I remember correctly, I think AE warn you in the instructions against pulling out the plug once it has been inserted as it can affect the seal.

I had the same concern when I received my Evo 3. Thought that may be they had already been used but looking at the rest of the condition of the speakers, it was clear that they had not.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Bumped up for more to read :)

8. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you guys think of your Evos? I'm thinking of getting some, with the matching centre. I'm not sure between these or the monitor audio B4s. I had a demo and wasn't too impressed with the bass. Was that just the cds? (I hadn't brought my own, just popped in and was shown them)
    It isn't easy for me to get to have another listen, but at 280£s they definitely deserve my attention.
    Thanks!

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO they are superb speakers with plenty of bass on offer. There are lots of factors that could be imparing your bass perception on the demo. The amount of bass your used to listening to.. The cd's being used, the source player, the apm, the speaker cable the listening room and how long the speakers have been used for as AE have a recommended break in time for them as they have metal cones.

I would whole heartedly recommend them especially if you have a bright amp.:smashin:

10. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour,

AE said that the speakers were filled to the OPTIMAL level. Just out of interest, how full were they, half? third?

I'm just asking because I'm thinking (still deliberating) of mass loading my MS Avants, and I want to know how much sand to put in. It would be interesting for me to know what a manufacturer such as AE deems to be an 'optimal' level.

Cheers :)

11. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'd a Evo 3 set last weekend and was quite disappointed considering all the rave reviews they were getting. The bass was totally overpowering everything else. Perhaps it was the Denon 3805 i was using to power it but still... Watching LOTR was difficult as you could hardly hear what ppl were saying in the midst of battle, music was equally poor, with vocals sounding a little too much on the low side. On a positive note, they are powerful speakers and adequate soundstraging, great if you are an action movie fan who aint too interested in what ppl are saying. I guess for the price, not too bad overall... am considering a MA Bronze or perhaps even silver series...

12. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    wombatman - it may have been the demo itself. I find these speakers very clean and detailed, so bit surprised at your comments. If you can you should try get some to demo at home in your own environment. They are defo worth a second chance!

13. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Evo 3s are definitely not too bassy (if anything not enough), i can hear the vocals very easily, even with music when i'm not using a centre channel. that is one of my favourite things about the speakers. the MA B4s definitely have more bass.

14. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Hmmm could have been the amp? It was set up with a Denon 3805 and Denon DVD 2910. I was truly surprised at the poor quality, but I was wondering whether it could have been the amp set up wrongly. We tried tweaking the amp and it did make a small difference, it was initially set up for small speakers, and once we changed that to large speakers the clarity improved slightly, but i still found it too 'bass-y'.

The chap at sevenoaks did say that the speakers were not ideal for the amp and recommended the monitor audio silver series instead. I will try out the MAs and see, though not really a fair comparison as they cost a bit more.

15. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can afford the MA silvers i'd go for those. they are in a different price bracket to the evos, I think.

16. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    It may have been the amp settings - if it was in a showroom with other speakers, the Denon's Auto Room Calibration may have been set up with a different set of speakers connected (may explain the speakers set to "small") and therefore made the AE's sound, well, ****!

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Also worth considering is if the evos where in the corners of the room as AE recommend at least 1 meter from the walls or corners as they will boom if your not carefull.
    Ive had my evos for 7 months and love them, clear, precise, powerful and dyanmic in music and movies. I would still swap them for a set of AElites in a heart beat though :D Now they are some serious lovely speakers :smashin: