Acoustic Energy AEGO T 5.1. vs. SVS SBS-01

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Late, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Late

Late
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I'm looking for a speaker set to accompany an Onkyo 605. It's for my home cinema in the loft. Mainly used for games and films.

At present I'm torn between the A.E. AEGO T 5.1 and the more expensive SVS SBS-01. Unfortunately, where I live, I have no option to hear a comparison in a store.

Ideally, I'd prefer to save money and go for the A.E.s but if there's a world of difference, I could be tempted to the SVSs.

As the setup is in the loft, I'm looking for refinement and clarity of sound not volume.

Can anyone help me decide which would best suit my needs, and whether the difference between the two is significant?

Cheers

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I was in the same position and couldn't get a demo so went with the Aego T 5.1, had them a couple of days I like the surround speakers but I personally feel the sub that comes with the package is maybe a bit to powerful.

EDIT : Please ignore the above comment, Autosetup set my subwoofer to output +11db (to loud) since manually changing it to +2db it sounds a lot better, I'd recommend the Aego T's now

3. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I've just got the SVS set with an 875 amp, and currently loving them. Can't comment on how they compare to the Aegos.

One thing to bear in mind is that the SVS surrounds are considerably larger (305x178x241 compared to 202x124x146 which is about 3.5x the volume :eek:), and the centre is even bigger. The sub is around the same size.

AV Sales are currently doing cheaper bundles with the PB10-NSD and PB12-NSD subs, but they are a fair bit bigger than the SB12+

4. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    This is an interesing comment. In theory there is no such thing as a too powerful sub. A Ferrari is capable of being driven at 30 if the driver so wants, even though it could do 200. The problem may be balance, too much bass compared with the output of the other speakers, or boomy bass which dominates the sound. Either should be fixable. If you could describe the bass sound you should get some helpful suggestions. This just sounds like something you don't need to put up with.

5. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I've used the supplied microphone to do an auto setup, I'm very new to all this it's the first time I've had a proper system. I've only got 3.1 going currently I've taken a look at the speaker levels and they are :

left = -2db
    centre = -5db
    right = -3db
    subwoofer = +11db

Can you advise at all on what these levels should be roughly I can appreciate everyone has there own tastes my guessing is that the subwoofer is set to high and I'd imagine the centre should be higher thatn the left and right speakers?

6. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well this probably explains it. Your sub looks way too high in relation to the speakers :eek:. I would be very surprised if the sensitivity of the speakers and sub is so different to demand that much differential. Are the speakers all a similar distance to your seating area and the mic you used for set up?

Try slashing the sub to -3db too. It will sound very different, but I suspect you are getting total bass overload, and probably boom too. Stick to it and listen over a period. But there maybe some other reason why the sub was boosted by setup so much and others may have suggestions.

All your auto setup is doing is calibrating the speakers so their output is consistent with the db reading on the amp volume control. That's all. All things being equal I would expect your LCR to be similar, which they are, but your sub.....

7. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

I've had a tweak and set the sub to be +2, seems a lot better, still probably to loud so I'll have a look into your suggestion of setting it to -3db.

8. Late

Late
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like they're both really good systems, without a world of difference between them. So I'll probably go for the Aegis....

...unless...

...who can convince me? Who? Who?

9. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Assuming the sub is active has a gain/volume control then this is not necessarily correct as the level set in the amp is relative to this setting, not an absolute value i.e. if the gain is set high you may have a -ve level, whereas if the gain is low you may have a +ve level. Both would give the same SPL meter readings.

10. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You're rignt Samurai, but we are talking a 16db swing on the C. This is massive, certainly well outside max gain adjustment on my sub.

11. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    If you are unable to get a demo I'd say the Aego's are a safe bet. I wasn't able to demo the system either but I'm really happy with my purchase. Watched the "Last King of Scotland" last night on DVD and the audio was so clear you could comfortably distinguish the dialogue from the centre from the surrounds. IMO they are also good with music, they can handle bass so your not completely reliant on the sub to do this.

12. MartinY

MartinY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in exactly the same place. Looking between these two speaker packages.

I know that the SVS speakers are excellent, but the centre is sooooo chunky. My plasma is wall mounted and sticks out about 12cm, including the bracket. The centre sticks out 8.5 inches! Hence my interest in a similar sounding, but smaller system.

I'll be running it with an Onkyo SR875.

Can anyone give a comparison between these two, or any more evidence on the quality of the AE speakers, for both cinema, and secondly, music?

Many thanks

Martin