1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Energy Aego P5 versus Acoustic Energy Aego P5 MKII

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bucketman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. bucketman

bucketman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am about to buy the Acoustic Energy Aego P5 system but I have just
    seen that the MKII has been released for £499. I can get the old
    version for £299 and I was wondering which one to go for.

From the Acoustic Energy web site, the MKII has been upgraded with Pro
    Logic II and they have done some tweaking to the speakers (What HIFI
    August edition).

Is it worth going for the MKII just for the Pro Logic II. Seems a bit
    much for extra £200?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    * Bumped *

3. Splim

Splim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bucketman,

I am probably not going to help very much but I believe WhatHiFi gave the MkII, 3 stars compared to 5 for the original. This, I believe was due to the market having moved on since the release of the original (not so much the sound quality), and the MkII not offering any more than PrologicII as an extra feature.

I have the original P2 system which I am very pleased with, however I can only adjust the volume via the subwoofer (which it is located on the subwoofer itself, unless you use the high level/speaker connections), which may be an issue if it's the same on the P5 MkI - don't know anout the MkII?

I did say I was not going to be much help?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

4. Trawlerman

Trawlerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post here :)

FWIW, I run my Aego P5 Mk1 with a Yamaha DSP-E800 Processor. Using the 6-Phono to Mini-Din cable that was supplied with the Aego system, I connected the whoel speaker system tot he Pre-Outs of the Yamaha.

The supplied decoder with the Aego system is the real weak link with this sysem. Using the Yamaha, I have even greater control of the setup.

The Yamaha's are going relatively cheaply at the moment (around £200) and are a great bargain.

Just a thought.

5. Rostron

Rostron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had the MK1 for over 1 year now.....still a great sound ...
    OK there are better speaker systems etc but for the cost and the size its brilliant.
    I have a good hifi system I use for music so I didnt want to have another set of speakers on the floor. We all havent got massive rooms as displayed sometimes in magazines.
    Anyway...based on what i know about the MK1 and the 'iffy' review in What HIfi and more importamtly the £299 price tag...the MK1 has got to be a bargin