Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Acoustic Energy Aego P5 MKII

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scpatterson, Jul 16, 2005.

1. scpatterson

scpatterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a new Acoustic Energy AEGO P5 MkII Surround sound system. I connected the system up as per the manual. Once I powered it up I could hear a hiss from the satallite speakers. This could be heard (all be it slight) from the listening position (about 2-3 metres from each speaker), but when listened to close to the speaker, was quite loud. The same amount of hiss can be heard wether the volume is at max or muted and it doesnt matter if all inputs are disconnected. I have contacted acoustic energy asking if this was normal, there reply was that a slight amount of hiss is normal with no input signal. I have since listened to denon and jbl systems and the level of hiss is 0 to very slight. Does anyone have the same system or the mkI? If so let me know what the hiss level of your system is like with no input signal.

Thanks

2. vonstahlhein

vonstahlhein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I experienced a similar thing with the mark 1. There was a very slight but discernable hiss with no signal coming through the sub woofer. Never had any noise through the satelites though. The hiss never came through when a signal was being played through the system.

3. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have exectly the same problem lads, ive got the old Mk1 and it hisses when switched on. I contacted Acoustic Energy and they said it was pretty standard and that it just meant that the current was flowing. Yeah...Ok!

Its quite a noisy little system really, without any input, you've got the hissing, the sub hums ever so slightly (close-up) and the AC adaptor for the processor buzzes abit too, its quite loud when all is quiet in the room. Throught about replacing the AC adaptor actually.

To be honest though, ive always been amazed at how good they do actually sound considering their size, (they are weighty little buggers!) and i am glad i purchased them as my first speaker system.

I think im going to eventually replace the processor with a Yam 757 or 1500, though by the time i can afford one, the 1500 will have been replaced so il see, or i could just replace the whole speaker system too, and get some genies or m-cubes for example, but il see.

4. scpatterson

scpatterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've actually given up with it. Packaged it up and sent it back to superfi. I'm replacing it with the DENON DHT550 setup. Had a listen to it and it sounds great.

Cheers for letting me know guys!

Stuart