Quantcast

Acoustic Energy Aegis Three - Any Good?

samtl

Hi All,

I'm about to buy a new subwoofer for my system - an SVS SB2000. It's a real step into the AV world for me, though I'm concerned that my current floor standing speakers - the Acoustic Energy Aegis Three's, are now the weak link in my system.

How do people rate them? They do sound good to me, but many years have passed since they initially came out and I'm wondering if getting some Q Acoustics 3050 speakers or Bronze Audio 5's might be a step up.. or potentially not? Any thoughts?

Thanks! Sam

Gasp3621

If you are looking for black ash SB2000 forum advertiser has few new ones with full warranty for 639£. Big save from 799£.

Grade M - Official manufacturer refurbished unit. Not inspected by AV Online. Warranty as specified. Packaging may not be original. See description for details.

Don`t forget Arendals new 1761 Sub 1S. ~680£ , free shipping to UK. Specs wise very similar to SB2000 Pro, same 5year warranty for amp.

samtl

Thanks for these links! The Adrenals look like a beaut, though I've managed to acquire a used SB2000 with 3 1/2 years warranty for around £530 - I feel like this is a bit of a bargain! Even in the face of the new deal for £639. I hear these are very reliable subs but i've been stung in the past on eBay with subs blowing up quite unexpectedly...

I've also had sights on the BK XLS 400 subs, which look almost as good and are currently *new* on ebay for around £410 delivered.. extremely tempting! Though using this forum it seems like the SB2000 has a bit of an edge for films..?

Gasp3621

Though using this forum it seems like the SB2000 has a bit of an edge for films..?
Yes that is correct, also reported by members who has upgraded from XXLS400 to SB2000. 530£ looks fine with warranty left and the sub alone will push your system to another level assuming you had some cheap one before.

Regarding the speakers it`s tougher question. Personally i would look in to higher ranges, something in the 1k£ range originally. You can find great deals 2nd hand as you pointed out already so you end up with more noticeable upgrade. Few dealers has older models going for half price.

Few examples:

Top Bottom