1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stinky985, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone got these and you are happy with them?!

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sold lots at work, very competant speakers. I choose a pair of Focal JM Labs Chorus 710's instead as I felt these had better intergrated driver giving a very good sound. They have very smooth deep bas for their size also. You'd still need a sub for multichannel music though.

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the Aegis 3, the predecessor of the Evo's. The speaker just keeps on amazing me, give them a really good run in. Avoid placing them too close into a corner or wall as they get boomy, give them some freedom and you have a very clear and detailed sound.

I have upgraded, well sort of, from talk 3.1 cable to bi-wire with Chord Carnival. On paper it may not be that much of an upgrade but both the Chord cables and the bi-wiring have improved detail beyond believe.

Don't laugh but the main reason for choosing Chord Carnival was that the cable is nice and plain white so they can be hidden easily when in view and against the skirting board....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

4. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i have Aegis AV system (2's,1's & Centre) and very happy with them.
    I just want to upgrade the main pair and still match the rest, (AE tell me that can be done without messing up tonal equality between all). Better bass swill mean i wont need a sub. At least thats the theory. My mate Has Aegis 3's and they sound superb.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have the Aegis 1's as rears, but pressure of my wife has made me to change them for the compacts. I am seriously impressed with the compacts as well!!!

Due too more pressure, and the pretty white looks (my wife talking), I am now loosing the battle as well to get an AE Compact for centre speaker mounted to the ceiling (we've got a 8ft projection screen...)

Although they behave really well with deep bass, I wouldn't say you don't need a sub. They just can't reach the depth and power of a dedicated sub. It maybe better to stick with the 2's and get an Velodyne CHT-10 instead.....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd go for a Velodyne CHT-10 in that case. You'll get much deeper controlled bass that way.

7. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good point and i understand that.
    But its the fact its another 'box' for the wife to put up with (not happy i have any - the puritan!), and my children to climb on and poke etc.
    Am i right in thining that will also aid my music as well as films?
    (even in stereo?)
    How much are they?

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It will certainly aid your stereo reproduction. I think it's £325 on the power buy at the moment.

9. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i'll check it out then, Though i fear it maybe a tad expensive. Any other recommendations for about £200?

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Unless you can find something good 2nd hand for £200 it's not worth looking at a sub. They're not really very good qaulity as a whole. Can't really hlep you with anything else, sorry.

11. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stinky,

It is about the same price as the Evo 3 isn't it....Except ofcourse you won't have the opportunity to sell your 2's...

Hey I understand about the wife, I now have a little girl of 5 months and I am even thinking about what I can get off off the floor....Actually I used that excuse myself when I was trying to win the argument to buy a projector....

Anyway, does anyone know of a school where we can brainwash our wifes....

If a sub is an absolutely no-no, just use the 3's instead. I am currently running 5.0 as I am in a similar debate and you can still feel the bass instead of just hear it...So it is actually quite difficult for me to convince her that we should get a quality sub. But give me time....I have a lot of qudos at the moment when she saw the picture improvement from PAL PS....

So in short, if a Velodyne is difficult to fit in etc...Upgrade to the 3's and you still have good bass...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

12. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for all your help.

My current thinking is this:
    Getting rid of my Aegis2's (mate from work wants them) promoting my Aegis1' to main (front), getting some new smaller rears (possibly Aegis Compacts or mission Bipoles) and a decent sub.
    After reading Uncle erics post on how to set up subs with floorstanders etc i dont think i'll be loosing out using a bookshelf speaker, if i can supplement it with a decent sub.
    What ya reckon?:confused:

13. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitely recommend the Aegis Compact speakers. They are incredibly big sounding speakers for such small ones. Also my wife likes them a lot as they come in white.

They blend in really well with the rest of the Aegis range, the wall-mount bracket is a pain to fix, but once fixed it is really nice and tidy. I actually noticed a large improvement in surround sound effect as I was using the 1's at the back. Possibly because the compacts are much higher and tilted down a bit.

The sound quality from the 1's is very good, I think you will be very happy when you then combine it with a good quality sub.

I was surprised at first but less can be more....

cheers,

JP

14. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cheers - think u have persuaded me!
    found compacts at £89 for the pair, then extra for the brackets.
    now for the sub...

15. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm sure i saw the AE aegis sub for £200 quid last summer, I've heard good things about that in review. Might be worth looking into that if you want it all to look nice together ;)

16. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the Aegis Sub can by had for £200 by either HyperFi or SuperFi. Then again I don't know which of them, but definitely one of them is advertising stock they never seem to have.....For example an Aegis Centre for £29....

Regards,

JP

17. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i think ive seen it advertised by Hyperfi in What hifi. Problem is they never seem to have anything in stock what they advertise!!
    i'll search the net..

18. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny that...we must have posted it at the same time Stinky....

19. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    great minds and all that !?! :rolleyes: