1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3B Opinions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by zerocool242001, Apr 21, 2003.

1. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, thinking of buying this mighty beast set and was wondering if anyone had it and could let me know what its like or if u don't have it whats it like?

How does this compare to the sony davs s880? Not wanting to appear stupid but what else would I need to complete my "perfect" home cinema experience? I know I need a dvd player but can someone recommend a good one to go with the evo 3b, do I need a receiver/amp as well. I don't really understand them so will be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers all

2. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got the evo 3b package and its not bad at all. The evo 3,s are excellent mains that are well balanced with a nice crisp punch. They are excellent for music to (especially for the price). They do need quite a bit of room. I have mine standing around 2 metres apart and about 3/4 of a metre from the back wall. The evo 1's are very good rears, but placing them correctly is a must. It makes a dramatic difference getting them at the correct listerning height and they require reasonable stands. They sound best close to the rear wall imo. The evo 1's need a bit of breaking in before you rig them up straight away as the rears.
    The centre speaker is a bit of a dissapointment but for the price it does the job . As for the sub i changed mine for a yamaha yst320 cause i couldnt get on with the evo one. Make sure as a whole you have atleast a medium sized room with space for this speaker set. Anything less and you will find the sound claustraphobic because the sounds dont seperate properly. Other then that a great buy and works in a nice harmony with each other.

For an amp thats works well with these speakers i would start with no less then a yamaha rx-v630rds for about £350. Thats a good starting point to work from. These speakers can deal with greater amps but its down to your budget at the end of the day.
    Sony have a good equivilent model to the yamaha but i cant remeber the model:(

Ive not had any experience with the sony dav 880 so maybe someone else can help you out with that one.

3. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers m8 for the advice, much appreciated.

Seen another amp/receiver, its the YAMAHA DSP-AX630SE, is this as good as the YAMAHA RX-V630RDS.

Room size is about medium, it ain't 2 big but theres enough room, (i hope), lol

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its the same thing but without a tuner. If you can live without radio then its a good buy for the money.

5. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers again m8,

Okay final setup is looking like this:-

First the amp/receiver:- £265 incl del.
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=YAM-DSPAX630

Then the beast:- Acoustic Energy Aegis 3B Home Cinema Package £819.95 incl del.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1311

Now all I need is a good dvd player and cabling to go with all this. Any ideas on what cables are needed for all this setup and if poss a good dvd player too.

If anybody knows where the above can be bought for cheaper let us know and I'll be a very happy chappy. :clap:

Tell u wot, double the sony davs s880 price but as many members have said, better to get it right the first time

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With that setup you can get away with QED Original speaker cable at £2.50 a metre or if you wanna treat yourself to something better go for QED Silver Anniversary at £5.00 per metre.
    As far as dvd goes i cant help. Im still using my xbox as a dvd player until i can get a pal progressive scan recordable DVD player which im hoping will be around nicely for christmas:)

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Sounds like a good combination of kit there ... anyway for a DVD player ... unless you are using a device that need progressive scan ... you can do a lot worse than look at the Toshiba DVD players - the SD220e is avaliable around £100 from Richer Sounds and other places and is a good place to start.

If CD playback is also important to you ... the Philips 963 is highly rated and will also play SACDs - this is avaliable around £300 I think.

Black Magic's sugestion of speaker cable sounds reasonable, but if you need long cables for the rear take a look at the stuff B&Q sells - £10 for 25m. Also look at the Gale speaker cable that Richer Sounds sells.

As for other cables .. you'll want a reasonable SCART from DVD player to TV - £30 for a Thor SCART from Maplins works well, plus a digital co-ax - £10-20 should see you sorted. Then you'll want an analogue stereo pair for any other sources you have (VCR, Sky, etc) into the amp - £10 for a Cambridge Audio Atlantic or £20 for the Pacific will be fine.

Vikki

PS ... Black Magic ... I think your hope for PAL Prog-Scan recordable DVD is a little wishful thinking for around xmas though Black Magic ... none of the models coming out this year that I've heard of are prog-scan let alone PAL prog-scan.

8. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the tremendous help especially from black_magic on this topic, and to vikki as well.

Am I right in thinking that i'd need 5 speaker cables for the evo and these just run from the yamaha 630 into the back of the speakers. Think I might treat myself and go for the qed silver anniversary and might just get 2 25m from b & q for the rears, hence 3 qed silvers(need to work out metres) and 2 25m cables from b &q.

Thanx for suggestions on dvd players, i've heard about the 220e b4 on other forums. Looks good, as long as its okay with dvd-r, dvd-rw, cd-r and cd-rw i'm fine with it. Heard that some dvd players "freeze" and sometimes skip when playing dvd-r, dvd-rw's. Hope thats not the case with the Tosh 220e but will investigate. I've got loads of dvd-r's so thats more important to me, SACD - not too bothered really, i'd rather have a better dvd player that doesn't skip or freeze like the davs s880 when playing dvd-r.

Okay, the system is nearly complete but another question, how do I connect the dvd player to the amp. Is that the digital co-ax u mentioned vikki, is that just 2 phonos to 2 phonos.

Again, sorry for the stupid questions but its my first time into home cinema and I wanna get it right.

P.S
    Black_magic, am I also right in assuming 2 plugs are in your system, or does the speaker/sub set have another plug making it 3

1 ur amp
    1 ur xbox dvd player

9. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You should really birwire all your evo speakers so you need to run 2 cables to each of those speakers you will get an improved sound especially noticeable in the evo 3's and centre. If moneys a problem then you can get away with not birwiring the evo 1's.
    You can connect the dvd in either phono, co ax, or optical it depends on what outputs are available on the dvd. It doesnt matter to much as the yamaha can deal with all of them. If you have a choice then i'd personally opt for co-ax which is a digitial line that will look like a single phono socket (for want of a better description).
    The sub has its own plug so its three in total

1 amp
    1 xbox
    1 sub

The speakers are not powered by mains.

10. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay think i've got it now,

10 speaker cables, 5 of the evos biwired, yamaha to evo's
    looks like its qed silver anniversary or the b&q stuff though need to check it out, or might even try this (198 strand) opinions please?
    http://www.cp-audiovisual.co.uk/speakercable.htm

1 digital coax(for dvd to yamaha) cable example being
    http://www.cp-audiovisual.co.uk/coaxial.htm

and 1 scart to scart for the dvd to tv, very tempted on the thor,
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Aerials_Index/Thor_All/index.html

Think I might have finally cracked it now,

p.s is it easy to fit the speaker cable, I think i'll be okay with the scart to scart and the digital coax but how does one fit the speaker cable, is it simply a case of the black and red into the yamaha and the other bit into the evos.

Again cheers for help

Attach red and black

11. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry ignore last line, should say attach red and black into yamaha, doh!

12. Rommel

Rommel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    zerocool242001,
    Sorry to come in part way thru thread...
    I recently bought the evo package, though I ditched the sub in favour of a velodyne CHT-10 (bought for Uncle Eric on the Powerbuys forum). My amp is a Denon 1803, with a Denon DVD-900 player. I'm well happy with the whole package - the room it's in is 18 feet long by 12 feet wide.
    The sound is strong and punchy, with good clean bass and excellent extension.
    I tried a few amps out with the evo's before I bought them, the yamaha you have already named but also the Marantz 5300, I found the denon to be my preferred match to the speakers, even though dialogue can be a little unclear a low volumes.
    Also I found that the picture and sound on the denon dvd player to be superior to the toshiba 220 and the pioneer 454 (but it is a few quid more). It plays most discs okay, with the exception of VCD & SVCDs but that's not a problem for me. I even think that the CD replay is pretty good (well, better than my old system)
    I can't notice the difference between the QED Original speaker cable on my surrounds and the Silver anniversary stuff, though the fronts are wired with an older Rockford Fosgate cable that I already had. BTW, they're not as yet bi-wired due to the cost.
    Just a word of warning though, I got a very good deal from a bricks & mortar shop (just down the road from me in Nottingham so no delivery) who were giving a better deal on the speakers than any internet dealer - when I bought the amp & dvd as well (both at a good discount off RRP), the deal got even better as they threw in cable etc (20m of it!!) It's really worth checking out the independents...
    I'm dead happy with the system, and I wouldn't change anything about it for the money I spent, though for a few dollars more...

:)

13. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers rommel for the comments, very good feedback.

Seems like every 1 I speak to about the evo 3b has good things to say about it, I'm trying to get a demo set up at practical hifi in Bolton so will let u all know how that goes.

Again thanks again and keep the comments rolling in.

14. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, what was the final outcome zerocool? What did you get? How is it performing?

Considering two posters ditched the sub how did you get on with it?

15. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can get the Evo 3B pack for £769.99 from HifiBitz (form sponsor, I've used them, good service).

Link