Acoustic Energy AE120² Floorstanding Speaker Review & Comments

nickj1000

I have a much older version of these make of speakers that nearly broke my low salaried bank at the time and I managed to integrate them into my surround sound system with my 100 watt Rotel amp. Wonderful sound both for music and movies. These I guess must be infinitely better I am sure !

pressure

They look lovely. Sounds like the acoustic energy sound has matured a bit!

BTW @Ed Selley those speaker cables look very pretty, would you mind sharing what they are?

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
BTW @Ed Selley those speaker cables look very pretty, would you mind sharing what they are?
A nigh on twenty year old run of Audioquest CV6.

mike7

Once again a review of speakers with no apparent attempt to comment on how they sound with a real full orchestra. Electronic music and small combos are not the only genres that purchasers of these expensive speakers will want to use them for.

roundhed

I have the 520's and the last paragraph here pretty much sums about how I feel about them.
Great all rounders with a level of detail that I didn't expect.
The most enjoyable speakers I've owned [and by no means the most expensive].
Also..... Boards of Canada do something to my brain no other band does, it's hard to explain actually.

Ossiepop

Once again a review of speakers with no apparent attempt to comment on how they sound with a real full orchestra. Electronic music and small combos are not the only genres that purchasers of these expensive speakers will want to use them for.

I expect the reviewer has merely come to the conclusion that they are better off sticking with the music that they know and enjoy as it just isn't worth expending any extra effort to test the equipment with an all-encompassing mix of genres, some they may not even be overly familiar with, as inevitably there will always be somebody disappointed enough with the selection to repeatedly whine on about it anyhow.

Jefke13

Once again a review of speakers with no apparent attempt to comment on how they sound with a real full orchestra. Electronic music and small combos are not the only genres that purchasers of these expensive speakers will want to use them f
I have the 520's and the last paragraph here pretty much sums about how I feel about them.
Great all rounders with a level of detail that I didn't expect.
The most enjoyable speakers I've owned [and by no means the most expensive].
Also..... Boards of Canada do something to my brain no other band does, it's hard to explain actually.
Hello, use to have the 509 and loved them, boards rule

bogart99

Speakers are probably the hardest part of a hi-fi change to give definitive views on as the room plays such a massive part in the overall perception.

Gwarf

robdmarsh

A few years ago I heard the diminutive ae 109, which I suppose was the predecessor to this speaker. It sounded really nice, wonderfully cohesive like a stand mount, but with a bit of welcome bass kick for those looking for a floor standing speaker for smaller rooms. Does AV Forums have only one reviewer for hifi speakers and that one reviewer is Mr Selly?

Jefke13

a good price point. rest of my money is going on utility bills probably.

excellent review.

only downside is they are not Marriage ending sized Speakers, which is what I am looking for. They tend to cost much more.
in white they are quite unintrusive and probably one of the few brands that offers gloss black and white in this price segment

Steve Stifler

A few years ago I heard the diminutive ae 109, which I suppose was the predecessor to this speaker. It sounded really nice, wonderfully cohesive like a stand mount, but with a bit of welcome bass kick for those looking for a floor standing speaker for smaller rooms. Does AV Forums have only one reviewer for hifi speakers and that one reviewer is Mr Selly?
AFAIK affirmative. Ed is a highly accomplished HiFi and av journalist and you will find his reviews across a range of online and print publications. Always a good entertaining read.

Sandyb01

AFAIK affirmative. Ed is a highly accomplished HiFi and av journalist and you will find his reviews across a range of online and print publications. Always a good entertaining read.
Agreed very much, he writes with a clarity that you dont see often.

Try and read his reviews even when the product is of no practical interest to me.

Khazul

Speakers are probably the hardest part of a hi-fi change to give definitive views on as the room plays such a massive part in the overall perception.

That and in the case of relatively budget floor-standers, using them with a high end amp can sometimes be a whole different experience to use with what people are more likely to pair them with.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom