1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic Energy 309 Floorstanders - What AMP?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by cominatcha, May 10, 2005.

1. cominatcha

cominatcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Everyone,

Got my self some Acoustic Energy 309's thanks to avnutter.

Now I love my Jazz, Soul, RnB some HipHop and some Nitin Sawnhey BUT what do I use to get some nice rich sound out of these ?

So far I have only read posts on a NAD C352CT most being positive.

My Budget is 200 - 300. Anyone got any suggestions ?

These speakers have the capability of being Bi-Wired :rolleyes: Can anyone give me a quick tutorial into what that means :-D and would it make the sound better? If it will how will I do it ? what will I need.

By the way my aim is to wire this up to my HTPC and play my cd's/mp3's through that!

All much appreciated !! This is a great Forum

Thanks

Rox :thumbsup:

2. cominatcha

cominatcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've done some more reading,

Here is a list, does anyone have these amps (I'm sure someone has!!) - how do you find it for music ? Any thoughts ?

cambridge audio azur 640a £249.95
    NAD C352CT £319.00
    Arcam A80 £600.00

Now - there are 3 price ranges. Due to lack of money I will use a HTPC to play my MP3 music through one of these AMPS driving Acoustic Energy 309's.

Come on - someone must have a opinion !! Even if its "your wasting your time" :) - well maybe not that !!

Eventually I will marry them up to a nice CD player but that all depends on money!!

Thanks in Advance

:thumbsup:

3. Kaldison

Kaldison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have a pair of 309's and am using a Musical Fidelity X-80 amp which sounds fantastic!, original price was £600 but can now be found for about £250 apparently – definately worth checking out! Do a search for it on http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/ (although seems to be down at the mo), lots of people have been raving about it on there over the last month or so.

Paul

4. cominatcha

cominatcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've done a GOOGLE search and hey presto the AMP you have suggested has come up for £250. I am going to look into this and the others I have mentioned and see what best fits me.

Thanks paul.r will look into this. :)

Anyone else got any thoughts? :thumbsup:

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i wouldn't put a £200 amp on £750 speakers. They are worthy of more. As someone suggested, that MF is a possibliity. I personaly would look into a secondhand Quad, Tag McLaren 60i, Exposure 3010 or something tbh. Should find something good for £300 ish

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    incidentally biwiring means that the tweeter can get its own feed from the amp and the bass driver(s) can get their own feed. Thats why there are 4 terminals on the speakers. What I would do if i were you would be to get some good speaker cable and connect it to the high frequency (upper) terminals. Then replace the brass shorting links with another 2 inchs of the same speaker wire you used from the amp to the tweeter terminals. Gives you 90% of the sonic benefits of biwiring but as you only have one speaker cable run, allows you to afford better cable :D

Try some Nordost Flatline Gold for a fast, tight, rhythmic sound or Black Rhodium AST200 for a smooth, warm sound.