Acoustic ART Room Treatment - Hmmmmm..........

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by leo79, Mar 1, 2013.

1. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. juggler

juggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Complete custard.

3. Tone-uk

Tone-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
  4. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    This quote clinches it for me :thumbsup:

"The medium of interconnectedness are frequency bands so high as to permeate all material matter."

5. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    The Vibratron and Quantum Tunneling - all they need is some tachyon particles and some dilithium crystals (unleaded of course) and it would be perfect :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Maybe they do make some miniscule difference, but surely soft furnishings would be a bit more cost-effective?

Nick

7. Jimholt

Jimholt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just look at the prices for a few pieces of scrap wood and a finger bowl with spikes. I could knock something up similar for less than a fiver. Rip off.

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    They are referred to as 'resonators'

"The Magnetron Satellite's base uses patent pending magnetic coupling to secure its resonator to the satellite base. The magnetic coupling strategically dampens the resonator to control its decay and frequency response for better integration with the Acoustic ART System. "

Things resonate based on their size relative to the exciting frequency. If we assume that the 'resonators' are 3" to 4" in diameter, then they will resonate between 3400hz (4") and 4450hz (3").

To resonate at 100hz, unless I am mistaken, they would have to be over 11 feet in diameter.

So, explain to me how that tiny gadget is going to help the Bass again?

If these things do anything at all, they are probably acting as very minor diffusers. Which could probably be accomplished by nailing a small stainless steel mixing bowl to the wall.

Plus over £2600!!! Think of the amp or speakers you could buy with that money.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    As much difference as the resulting air displacement from breaking wind perhaps?

10. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Resonance is related to damping/elasticity as well as just size...

As for the articles mentioned in the OP, they're just another take on the Mpingo disc nonsense.

PS - who reads 6loons? seriously...

11. coruja

coruja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    It's all so vague.

I want to comment on this from the basis of scientific papers and religious ceremonial use of these bowls &etc.

But what's the point when the thing most strikes me is how a person who would spend so much money, on a very little substantiated idea, manages to make that money in the first place?

How come there are so many affluent people with so little common sense? This is more of a mystery to me than these little bits of metal on a stick. I assume these people very high paying, high responsibility jobs? If so, then why to they leave their reasoning faculties behind when dealing thing like this?

If not, have they inherited this wealth from their slave trading ancestors and sugar plantations, from contracts to rebuild Iraq or buying oil refineries on the cheap from a collapsing Soviet satellite state?

Is it simply that people want to spend money of stuff and want to be made to feel good about themselves, and a little bit of mumbo-jumbo and half-understood 'exotic' cultural references makes it all seem worthwhile.

Are having these bits around the house the same thing as having an 'antique' Buddha's head somewhere in the living room? People think it is a cool thing and somehow it might have an affect of something that is a bit intangible but they sort of feel it is a good thing? I say this because they have very distinct and deliberate religious/totemic design to them.

I just don't get it. It is beyond me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. Tone-uk

Tone-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Maybe some expert opinion will help others believe!

Stereophile's John Atkinson: “My left brain knows these silly little bowls can have no audible effect… my right brain was busy telling my feet to tap!”

Jeff Talmage of NAD: “We weren't happy with the sound in our room at first. Then we added these [pointing to the Acoustic ART system].”

Taken from here - Best Sound at Show – T.H.E. SHOW Newport Beach | Synergistic Research

Amazing. They must work!

13. Tone-uk

Tone-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I will be from now on!

Absolutely hilarious :D

I don't think 6moons is meant to be taken seriously though?

14. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Anybody want to buy two quantum aligned Burmese cats as I have perceived a distinct improvement to my audio when one of the cats walks into the room and another jump when there are two cats present. I cannot explain why but it really works. Only £1000 each.

15. Tone-uk

Tone-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Everyone knows cats are magic.

16. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    As many of you know, I'm the guy who usually defends the lunatic high end (at least in the audio world). With a stereo system worth more than the UK average house price and a predelection for new bits of mumbo jumbo, I had to check these out.

I have used their cables in the past. They have a range of cables which offer "active shielding" with a mains powered shield to reduce noise.

They offer quantum tunneling for the cables which allegedly takers them to a new level!

I tried the Synergistic Research interconnnects, power cables and speaker cables.

Verdict: entirely average to my ears. Active shielding made not a jot of difference, actual cables made a good system sound quite ordinary.

I did have the opportunity to try their Acoustic Art room treatment as well as one or two even more esoteric treaks of the same kind. Results not surprisingly showed no change to system sound.

So in this case, I'm firmly with the sceptics on these products.

By the way, if you want to try a tweak that does make a significant difference, try the "Leading Edge" panels which are a joint venture between Vertex and Kaiser Acoustics. These are flat panels, either wall mounted or free standing which do seem to make quite a difference to room resonances. I was so impressed with the small sample panels that I'm talking to the manufacturer about doing a full room treatment exercise on our new music room.

17. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    when i read such claims and devices, I can't help but think this:

[​IMG]

18. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    £2600... I'll happily perform an audio optimisation prayer session in at least two religions for half as much, I have a feeling it may be just as effective. Mind you, I probably shouldn't do it in whatever I believe in since that would be sinning.

19. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Uh-huh... "small sample panels"? really...

From the picture on vertexAQ.com it's just a curved wooden panel. Oh, and Leading Edge's actual website? No longer hosted... heh.

Btw, posted a coupla questions for you in the 'my system' thread :)

20. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Just saw one question on the systems thread which I didn't really understand. I assume you were referring to the Halcro DM88 and you wanted me to orient them differently to please your taste?

The reason they are that way round is because
    A) I prefer them that way
    B) the cats prefer them that way
    C) originally the cabling I wanted to use would only work in that orientation because of the relative positions of the sockets.

As far as your comments on the Leading Edge stuff; hardly worth the bother of a reply. If you want to read more about them go look at Kaiser's website where there is more info. I can't really comment on Leading Edge's website or their other marketing arrangements.

I would suggest you try the Kaiser stuff before writing it off so dismissively.

21. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I wasn't suggesting you arrange your room to my tastes, just saying I thought the other view of the Halcros was nice(r)...... you're right though, what works for you is what is important.

I'd read more about Leading Edge stuff, except that Kaiser's website has jack-all to say about the panels, and Leading Edge's website doesn't exist (the domain is parked with Godaddy right now).

And I seriously wonder about the value of a 'small sample size' acoustic panel - size matters, unless you put the thing in a lab I don't see how you could have successfully evaluated it, and even then...

22. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Let me clarify the details on the small panels. They are not actually demo panels but rather blocks designed to sit either side of the equipment. I borrowed enough to sit either side of the stuff sitting on the rack. I didn't expect any effect but was surprised.

The design is interesting. It consists of tiny holes all over the panel or block. I was at the ?Munich high end show last year and out was interesting to see the difference in reverb if you tried clapping near the panels.

I am currently in negotiation for Kaiser to clad walls and ceiling with this stuff in a custom build. As build progresses, I will post pics.

In the planned arrangement the listening room will house the speakers. The electronics will be in the equipment room. That should provide lots of opportunity for more lunatic tweaks!

23. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    This may actually be a serious design then, although I can't see any benefit putting it next to your equipment rack. Or did you mean your speakers?

I saw something similar on TV many years ago where some boffins had designed a room with a customisable reverberation time, using panels with holes in that could be moved nearer or further from the walls etc they were mounted on. So using similar panels to control the reverberation in your room sounds quite feasible.

The panel pictured on the website linked at the top though just looked like a curved wooden sheet... at best it's going to reflect sound somewhere else...

I think you have a serious budget to play with, so I'll once again tell you how to live your life :)p ) and recommend you talk to some actual studio design engineers before spending megabucks on a product from a somewhat dubious company. Custom listening room acoustics are absolutely a worthy goal... :)

24. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Thats good advice but actually already done.

I wont go into the ins and outs of location but youve seen the current somewhat cramped setup so the small blocks were useful in providing acoustic as well as rfi and emf shielding for the contents of the rack.

The actual design of the new room is being handled by a UK architect firm with good knowledge of studio design and working in conjunction wioth the German contractors for the panelling.

Pic of room using similar arrangement below. Note this is not the equpment I'm using. Our room will have a screen between the speakers.

[​IMG]

25. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Well, I don't know about the acoustics but that's a beautiful room. And damn I'd love to hear those Avantgardes!

Also, I love the sound of an "equipment room" :D

26. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Doomlord, consider yourself invited as soon as its finished.

27. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Awesome, I will hold you to that :)