1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda VGA and HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    After some good success with a compaq laptop I have switched my main PC to the Aconda. In fact I'm writing this while sitting on the couch in front of the TV. The picture quality while playing DVDs is superb and easily beats my RGB conneted Sony 725D. The only remaining problems are the noise of the PC and sound. I can get a digital out module for my Live card, but I wonder if I should upgrade to a better card. Fortunately I promised to give my PC to my children, so I can build a new PC designed from scratch for home cinema. If anyone has any ideas about the best DVD players, sound cards etc please let me know. Good stuff this isn't it, just finished a game of Quake 3 , WOW!.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goto PC World. Buy a Guillemot Fortissmo for around £35, it has an SP/DIF out and works great straight into an Amp. Don't bother wasting money on the expensive SB's.

Ut oh, you realise a Projector will be next [​IMG]

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Will it do DD and DTS?

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Any comments on the Hollywood Magic Plus?, I am thinking of hooking up my PC to my TV some time soon and I see that this card offers DD & DTS

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have decided to go the HCPC route and build a dedicated PC to replace my Sony 725 DVD player. I should get all the bits next week, the main components being;

Micro ATX mini tower case
    ASYS CUSL2-M motherboard
    Toshiba combo DVD CDRW
    PIII 933
    256 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon AIW
    60 GB IBM HD

I have also bought a replacement PSU and CPU fan + HD silencer from quietpc.com.

As well as watch DVDs I will also be using the PC for Internet, games and hopefully TV channels, with the Radeon AIW you can turn the PC into a Tivo type system. I let you know how I get on once I get a chance to build the PC and test it properly.

7. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The creative and hollywood cards actually produce a decent picture when connected via the coposite or s-video outputs.
    But using a PC is soooo inconvenient to play DVDs. It's only really worth it when using the VGA output into a projector. The picture quality is then ab fab!

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jeff,

Can your ATI Radeon AIW card do DTS? I can't find any details on this, so assumed it can't (probably incorrectly). Do you the definitive answer?

Have you had any problems with quietpc.com. I haven't managed to get them to answer my email yet. They might just be busy and me inpatient.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The way I understand it is that the Radeon AIW would act as a passthrough for digital out, it doesn't have a DD or DTS decoder and so relies on you having a DTS/DD amp (same as most DVD players).

Re quitepc, I have never tried to contact them, I just ordered the stuff from the web site.

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited 17-03-2001).]

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi HC Dude, I agree that using a PC can be inconvenient, but I would also say that it should be possible with todays technology to make it a perfect partner in a HC setup. You can program a PC to do anything. Also I can't quite understand why you say that it is only worth it when using the VGA output into a projector. It is definately worth doing with my Aconda and I would have thought that Plasma and LCD screens would equally benefit.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jeff

I just found this, AIW FAQ.
    http://www.ati.com/na/pages/faq/aiwfaq.html

Have a look at q14.

It says Q14:
    What types of digital audio output do the ALL-IN-WONDER® family of products support?

A14:
    S/PDIF output on the ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ supports Dolby® Digital output, however it does not support DTS output. Previous generations of the ALL-IN-WONDER® family of products, i.e. ALL-IN-WONDER® 128 and ALL-IN-WONDER® 128 PRO, do not support digital audio output.

I thought you pass through explanation seemed plausible but now I am not sure. Has anyone got this kit running and what is their experrience?

The Fortissimo cheap card isn't the £35 as Jenz indicated at PCWorld. It is £30!

I like surprizes like that.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The lack of support for DTS on the Radeon is a software issue, the cinemaster softare doesn't support DTS. You just need to you a player that supports DTS like PowerDVD.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Glad you said that, just bought one on a spur of the moment decision. The sort of decision I usually regret later!