1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda Setup Advice

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bugfinder, Apr 28, 2003.

1. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

Have been off the forum for a while, living happily with my Aconda for almost a year now.

Early on a made a few geometry tweaks with the invaluable help of our resident expert Groundy (cheers pal). I also have the moire problem with NTSC discs, but am sticking with R2 and not worrying about it.

Here are my current thoughts - hope some of you can offer advice.

First of all, I'm using a relatively old DVD player - SONY 325 from about 3 - 4 years back - perhaps a new player could solve some of these niggles...? Connection RGB scart to scart.

1. I tend to watch R2 movies in DMI mode with the noise reduction off. I find that the DMM for movies would look great (maybe a bit too real) but whenever there is quick movement across the screen you get a kind of blocking / scrambling effect.
    When I turn the processing off completely the picture is sharper but doesn't look as stable - slight flicker noticeable (mostly on the menu).

Would a better source help with this as I'm thinking of upgrading the DVD player - Pioneer DV656a / Sony NS905?

2. Watched R2 Red Dragon last night and there were a couple of shots that played havoc with the image. Can't remember the name for it but it's when sharp white lines and intense patterns (e.g. tweed jacket!) appear edgy and show colours that shouldn't be there. Any tips on picture settings to improve this? Not sure if changing the source will help with this one as it tends to happen on terrestrial TV also.

That's it for now. Cheers
    Dan :cool:

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi Dan,

the problems you are experiencing with DMM mode have nothing to do with your DVD player or connection method. They are simply due to the processing method employed. An technical advisor at Linn told me the following:

I don't use DMM mode myself. DMI is a much less subtle mode and I do now use this on some sources (Sky Digital).

Not sure on this one Dan. It could be Moire effects that you are talking about but I assume you have read my "Loewe Moire" thread from a while back? If not, do a quick search and you will find it.

3. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked out the THX website - seems I was talking about convergence in point 2:
    http://www.thx.com/mod/techlib/monitorPerform.html

"convergence errors, which appear as color edges on the white bars (Figure 10). Perfect convergence is desirable but seldom achievable in consumer monitors. "

I'll see if I can improve it with the optimizer on Episode II.