1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Silva, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yes well, got my Aconda yesterday in replacement for my Tosh 36zp18p and I must say Im glad I made the change. At first I must admit that I was underwhelmed, however after a nights viewing my view has changed a lot. All this talk about the '3d-ness' of the picture is quite true. No doubt due to the DMM processing or something. It gives a very cinama-esque feel to DVDs in my opinion. Also PS2 games look a lot better now. I cant see how some can see the picture as blur or not clear. I find it spot on, cant see any loss of detail. I took a night to get used to downsize in sceen I must admit, but after a while it really doesnt matter. The size of the borders on the screen will take more getting used to to be honest. All of this and no brightness flicker and white edges. Its not 100% perfect but it is beautiful...

2. zippy

zippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had some serious reservations about my Vitros when it first arrived two weeks ago. I'm still concerned about the geometry effects of rapid contrast changes (i.e. the picture expands horizontally causing wavy vertical edges), but I love the picture. The "out of focus" effect magically disappeared after a couple of days, and now I think the picture is actually the sharpest and truest you can get. It's not artificially sharpened leavng all the original constrast detail. Even terrestrial TV pictures can look as good as DVD, with every wrinkle on show!

BTW do you notice any wavy or bowing edges with high contrast or rapidly moving pictures? (e.g. black and white footage with large white areas such as sky, or some of the ITV1 blue title screens). I'm still edging on calling in the engineer, although I would never choose another set.

Zippy

3. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yeah I know I read them...There is some slight bowing dpending on the transmission, PIP etc but nothing that worrys me too much after all you can expect that on all sets due to differing formats etc. I dont mind and its not that bad.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    I once reviewed mine and said at time it was like looking out of a window rather than a TV.

That is my greatest bug bear with the machine, as some times you can see a slight bow with mine, also sometime when the picture does not reach the top of the screen in this Pan mode, DOG,s can bend the picture out.

I was after a 36 TV but decided to go for the quality of picture over size. The picture seem to have a clearness, and colour of something like the quality of a transparency over that of a print picture.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

5. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive heard that the current Aconda chassis is to be phased out and replaced by the chassis used in the Articos at no extra cost. The question is when will this happen? Ive heard by mid Feb, anyone know anything different? :confused: