1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda geometry...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Silva, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi

Do any Aconda/Vitros owners have a slight problem with the upper and lower middle sections of the tv bowing in slightly giving a slight curved inwards effect at top and bottom of screen (top horizontal line curved downwards, bottom horizontal curved upwards). There are no options from what I can see in the service menu...

Any help?

2. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,
    I have a very slight problem with the top right hand line curving in at the top but only very slightly. In fact it only occurs when the picture is changing color rapidly. Anyhow I looked up a site on the web "www.loewesm.blogspot.com" to get details on how to alter the settings although having considered everything I decided the problem was not worth messing with the tv over as it only appears in 4:3 anyway. Here is what I found out:

Geometry Adjustment: EW Upper and Lower
    OK, have you noticed that in the Panorama and 4:3 picture modes that the bottom corners of the image bow in? If you are noticing this, here's the fix. Remember, entering the Service Menu and changing stuff is not without it's risks. Read the disclaimer in the Service Menu section of this site before proceeding, you do so at your own risk.
    1) First, enter the Service Menu.
    2) Select the "Geometry" sub menu.
    3) Now is a really good time to scroll down and write down all the factory settings for each parameter.
    4) Put on a light colored signal or better yet, an Avia Test DVD Test Screen and set the TV to Panorama mode.
    5) Go down to the setting labeled "EW Lower". Adjust this setting to a lower value (you may have to go into negative numbers) to get the Lower Corners of the display to widen out and to straighten out. Changes to "EW" Upper will also change the width of the upper corners of the screen in a similar manner.

Hope this helps but do be careful.

3. zippy

zippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry,

I have also read this article but cannot see how it can cure the problem, as the bowing is dependent on the contrast levels in the picture. The effect is noticable on my set even in 16:9 mode, as a general warping of the picture where there is is high contrast (e.g. straight vertical lines can bend or wobble slightly). It really bugs me, as otherwise the TV is stunning - like looking through a window.

Has anybody called in an engineer on this "feature" of the Loewe, and could it be all or partly cured? I've had my set exactly 27 days now, so I need to make a decision!

To be fair the effect is not usually noticable, but it CAN spoil viewing enjoyment. I spent £1,500 to avoid this hassle!

Zippy

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Why not either get a replacement if possible, or make the call for an engineer if you can easily demonstrate the 'fault'? As you say, you've layed out 1 1/2 large, so it's worth sorting. There's nothing worse (well yes!) than having something you love that you're waiting to disappoint - blimey, sounds like a Jerry Springer moment. :p