1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda as a PC monitor...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Silva, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi there

Has anybody actually got a PC running on their Loewe Aconda with just the VGA upgrade card (approx £60) as I have been told that I would need the 'Multimedia card' (approx £400) and the 'VGA module' in order to do this. Right or wrong?

Thanks

2. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Anyone?...please...?

3. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    you only need the VGA card. I have connected my Aconda to the PC several times.
    The only problem being that you need to make sure you play the right resolutions @60hz, otherwise no image at all.

This is part of a email from other user of this forum:

Received this info from Loewe in Germany.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The VGA input can handle the following resolutions:
    640 x 480 at 60 Hz
    856 x 480 at 60 Hz
    800 x 600 at 94 Hz Interlaced mode (only with a graphics board from Matrox (Millennium G200, G400, G450 or G550)

The geometry can be adjusted within the TV menu. Other resolutions other than the ones mentioned above can’t be handled.

Best regards
    Loewe Opta GmbH
    Service Dept.

pp. Thomas Sebald"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope it helps.

Bests

4. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    So £60 extra and I should have a 32" monitor to use ALL apps on? The Loewe website is not clear at all it states thet the VGA upgrade will allow for games to played anf that the multimedia upgrade allows for all apps such as word and internet...Not clear is it?

Has anybody actually got it up and running using JUST the VGA card...? Please as I am desperate for some CORRECT information...

Also how is this achieved practically - would I need to cahange the resolution on the PC monitor etc before plugging into the Aconda and can you do damage to the tv if done wrong?

5. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if my English is not that good but what I said is - "you only need the VGA card".
    I do only have the VGA card and I have connected the Aconda to my PC several times.
    Clear???

I tried to not play with the resolutions when the PC was connected to the TV. I had changed the PC to the correct resolution previously.
    But it happened some times that I tried one or two different resolutions that did not work. upppsss
    But the Aconda did not brake down. However it may be not advisable. Try to stay with the resolutions I told you in the previous post. They do work.

And 720x480@60hz works also.

I hope it helps this time.

Bests

6. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    yeah sorry you were clear its just that I have been told so many different answers in the past. Also I was wondering, did you buy the Aconda with the VGA card already fitted or did you have it fitted afterwards and what was the exact price and how did you go about doing it...Thanks for your help Pedro

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Fitting the vga board is simple. Usually done by dealer.... Jeff on this forum is the source for PC to Loewe info. Do a search and email him.....You'll get best info.

GF

8. priesh

priesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Guys - I'm not saying that a vga card is a bad idea, but don't you think that £60 is a bit much considering that it only does that quite low resolution?
    Why don't you instead get a pc2tv box which you plug your monitor out from you pc and then from the box to the tv using composite or s-video output of the box?
    I bought one of these boxes ( i have a shinybow one) in Singapore for £35, and it can handle resolutions up to 1024*768, all you have to do is make sure your computer output is set at 60Hz. The quality is very good for video(i.e. divx etc), and games work at 1024*768 resolution, but only if you set the refresh rate to be 60hz.
    I'm sure you can get these over here in the U.K. also, just do a search for it - the good thing is that this will work for any t.v., so you aren't just limited to the Aconda.

Just though you might like to know about an alternative option

Priesh

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    i would of thought the multimedia would allow a higher resolution??

Because 60hz for a PC monitor is a really bad picture, esp. if you're going to look at it close up....!

10. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    the all point of having a VGA card is to play progressive video signal on the Aconda, using a HTPC or a de-interlacer with video scaller able to do the resolutions and frequency accepted by it.
    And the improvement is noticeable.

Progressive 60Hz is not bad at all. In my oppinion is excelent for a TV. At least the majority of the people in this forum are watching 50hz interlaced in their TV and nobody complains seriously.
    And any PS capable DVD player will play PS PAL at 50hz and NTSC at 60hz. So no reasons to complain if the de-interlacing is done properly.

A HTPC with a nice card capable of decoding MPEG in real time will be the way to go, since it will allow the user to play both NTSC and PAL discs always at 60hz. Not possible with a normal PS DVD player since they play the images at the disc native scan frequency. And 50hz will not be displayed on the Aconda, at least I did not manage to force it to do it. Maybe Jeff could help with that one.

About the resolution I think is OK. If I am not wrong the DVD are enconded at 720*480 in NTSC. Not sure at PAL. And I think more resolution in a 32" screen will not improve anything. We will not be able to perceive the difference from the usual viewing distances.

Bests.