1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda 9381 Owners - Please Help!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by groundy, Apr 13, 2002.

1. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

as a fellow Loewe owner, I was hoping some of you can help me. I'm asking only those of you that know your way around the service menu on this TV or don't mind going in to check some settings for me. My problem is that I have made more than a few changes to various options in my Aconda 9381 service menu but need to know the defaults asap. I did have the defaults all carefully written down but for the life of me I cannot find the sheet of paper I wrote them on!

I'm having an engineer out early next week to fit the VGA module so I need to reset all my Geometry adjustments and Option Bytes to the factory levels as I'm sure he will notice they've been changed. Therefore, would any of you be willing to check your service menu/original settings and let me know the following:

1. V Amplitude and V Position default settings for 16:9 Mode on AV3 while playing a PAL DVD.

At the moment mine are:

V Amp = 14
    V Pos = 36

2. V Amplitude and V Position default settings for 16:9 Mode on AV3 while playing a NTSC DVD.

V Amp = 17
    V Pos = 39

I need both the NTSC and PAL settings for the above as they are seperately stored values.

3. The entire bit list configuration in Option Byte 5.

4. The entire bit list configuration in Option Byte 3.

I think I changed one or two of these but cannot remember which as it was all written down on the sheet of paper that I cannot find.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone........please...........pretty please. :confused:

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I wouldn't worry. All the guy is gonna do is slot it in and check you get a signal coming in, then leave as hastie as all do. Plus if he does do any calibration you want it to match what you've already struggled with. Just play dumb, he'll take point and that'll be that.

4. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry either...

As I understand it all TVs are adjusted differently so the settings that yours was shipped with aren't necessarily the ones mine was shipped with.

I had a little play in the service menu to figure out what all the geometry settings do (writing my 'defaults' as a went along).
    I had a shock when I adjusted one and the bottom half of the screen went black!!!! I swiftly exited the menu without storing and it stayed black!!!!!
    I turned it off, unlpugged and sat there in a cold sweat for about five minutes before daring to turn it back on - thankfully it came back to normal - but what a scare!

I'm sure this is because I don't know what I'm doing - is there a reason why half the picture would disappear?? Maybe this is what is supposed to happen???

I resolved to leave well alone!

5. ianbe

ianbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nor would I worry. If the TV is working fine and the picture's good, he's not likely to say anything - even if he did notice something unusual about one or two of the settings.

The 'out of the box' settings on my TV are different from the default EEPROM values which doesn't surprise me. I've also tweaked a couple of the geometry values slightly to make things even better and there's no way I'd put them back to the original settings for anyone!

Anyway, good luck with the upgrade and can I ask what you plan to use it for?

Ian

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies, and I hope you're right that the Engineer won't notice/won't care. I had heard that Loewe were extremely fussy when it comes to these sort of things though - more so than other manufacturer's. I realise the defaults on another person's Aconda may be different from mine but I would still like to check as I seem to have lost my original settings that I had so carefully written down.

It's not so much the Geometry but rather the Option Byte settings that I would appreciate checking again as these should be the same on all our Aconda's and most likely the Vitros as well. I'm almost sure I changed a bit setting in Option Byte 5 or 3 and OK'd it by accident - though I haven't noticed any changes for the worse.

bugfinder:

I don't know how/why half your screen turned black as Geometry adjustments on the Loewe are very simple to perform. The service menu is more like a standard user menu in comparison to other manufacturers sets. It's possible you activated some sort of test signal by accident but by hitting "E" no changes are saved so you should have noting to worry about.

Ianbe:

Thanks for the info. In the long run, I plan to use the VGA module as a means of inputting a pure progressive signal via an external transcoder and an appropriate DVD player. I don't have that kind of equipment yet but in the meantime, I will use it for some computer applications and possible a few HCPC tests.

If anyone else has a spare 10 mins (Ianbe?) and doesn't mind checking the bit settings in Option Byte 3 and 5, it would put my mind at ease considerably. I think there is around 8 bits in each byte. I just need to double check the 1/0 values for each bit. ;)

7. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy

It would help if I could remember which setting caused the bottom half of the screen to go black - but I'm a bit nervous about changing anything now anyway!

Have you been through all the geometry settings? If so did you not notice this in any of them? I thought it could be to help the adjustment - but then I'd have thought exiting the service menu would have returned it back to full screen, which it didn't - scary!

I'm afraid I know nothing about the option bytes? What do these do?

Would be good to have a list of what it is possible to do in the service menu - unofficially of course!

I would also be interested to know what you are hoping to do with the VGA. And how much it costs to get done....

Cheers!

8. ianbe

ianbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My option bytes are as follows, but I really don't recommend attempting to change any of the bits unless you understand the potential consequences:

Bit 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Byte 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
    Byte 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1
    Byte 2 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0
    Byte 3 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
    Byte 4 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1
    Byte 5 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0
    Byte 6 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Byte 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Byte 8 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

These option bytes relate to v2.2 ACQ v1.07 TDC v1.01
    EPROM code 29780 489
    EAROM code H00951

Please bear in mind that unless your software version identically matches mine there is no guarantee that your bits have the same meaning (and therefore consequences) as mine.

Ian

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for taking the time to list your settings Ian - I really appreciate it. :) My software version etc., are exactly the same as yours (Q2500 chassis) and it turns out I obviously hadn't changed any of the Option Byte Bits as mine are also the same as yours. Engineer calling tomorrow to fit VGA board but I will leave my Geometry settings as they are. When I first got my Aconda, the V Position was a good bit off with the black bars on 2:35:1 images being of totally different size. In fact, the bottom bar was almost twice the size of the top one so this would have warranted a service call had I not fixed it myself anyway. Everything else was pretty good apart from too much overscan on NTSC material which I again fixed using V Amplitude and H Amplitude.

Bugfinder:

Mailed you about the parameter that caused the bottom half of your screen to go black. Turns out it was "V Slope" so you did nothing wrong.

10. ianbe

ianbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to have been able to reassure you.

I think the service guy will probably flip one of the bits in the first control byte to activate the VGA input, so it's just aswell that everything looks spot on.

Ian