Aconda 9381 2500 chassis - VGA card?/ProgScan

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by drew, Aug 23, 2002.

1. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a Loewe Aconda 9381 with the new 2500 chassis for a week, but didn't know about the VGA card being required for progscan when I ordered the telly. To be honest, didn't have any depth on progscan either! But I'm learning fast!

Some questions for the many guys ahead of me:-

If I sell the wife and get an Arcam FMJ DV27, this already has progscan output. So, compared with the DV88 P there is "only" a £300 difference and for that you get what I'm told is a far superior player. Correct?

If a DVD player already has progscan output, why do you need an iScan in the middle before hooking into the VGA on the TV? The tech guy at Arcam I spoke to said that an iScan is not needed if you already have prog output. They've got an Aconda but no VGA card installed so couldn't test.

I'm having a VGA card retro fitted, while I save up for a DVD player. Installer is ordering the card from Linn and will fit in home for £80. Low price because retailer accepts they should have been more clued up when selling me the telly. Asking around, the real cost varies from £120 to £250. Is there any variation with these cards - or is the difference in cost just retail mark up?

Finally, to complete the kit, and with space and budget in mind the Keff KHT eggshells seem a good choice. Music CD quality is important to me, another reason for thinking the FMJ is a better decision.

Let me know what you think, all comments greatly appreciated.