1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aconda 9381 2400 v 2500 chassis ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by drew, Aug 5, 2002.

1. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a lot of the Aconda 9381, 2400 chassis still around. I have the option with HOF of a 2400 now or waiting approx 3 weeks for a 2500. Same money for both, (good price match deal). I went for the 9381 over 9281 because of the Tosh/Philips tube issue, discussed here in Forum and confirmed to me directly last week by Linn.

I've read the reports about enhancements on the new chassis, though some of the tech stuff I'm sorry to say is above me at present, eg Pal/NTSC scanning.

Linn say the 2500, on the downside, does not retain 3-way multi pip but on the upside has a more user friendy menu, a proper alarm switch, plus Bose surround and home automation upgradeability. (Nothing said about the scanning and performance issues). The general feel I received from Linn was that there wasn't a great deal in it, though I realise they don't want old product clogging the system and annoyed retailers.

Have to say myself that the only thing on the list from Linn that I might wish I had is the better menu. But what about these other issues not on the Linn list, but that I'm reading on these pages?

Can someone give me a hand please?

2. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a 2500, so I can probably help you with how the PIP functions on that - what is it meant not to do now?

With the VGA card, the 2500 chassis allows pro-scan on PAL and NTSC afaik which could be a big bonus in the future. Otherwise I doubt there is much in it, but if they are the same price I would wait a few weeks for the 2500 chassis. You just never know what other tweaks they have made.

3. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

HOF said they would deliver the 2400 now and if I didn't like it they would order a 2500 direct from Linn and swap. Can't do better than that. Also means I get my new telly asap, though having handed over the dosh I now find it won't arrive till end next week and not this week as told.

So, I'll come back to you a few days after delivery when I've had chance to play with the functions if that's OK?

Apparently the 2400 allows 3-way PIP but the 2500 provides just two PIP screens. That's my understanding. There's definitely a reduction in capability, though I might have got it a bit mixed. Difficult, until you get your own set to play with. Not sure that 3-way PIP is a long standing advantage, after showing off to myself and anyone else prepared to humour me!

I've not got this VGA card and pro-scan thing sussed yet. Is it an easy retro or should I consider, if I get the 2500, having it supplied with one, and how much is it? What will it give me in everyday use?

Re the possible other tweaks that might be on the 2500 chassis, does anyone know what these are, and are they all positive changes? There have been a lot of de-spec changes on other parts of the Loewe range, so a new version is not necessarily a better set.

Thanks for any info.