Achieve your achievements

Member 79251

Ex Member
Reaction score
Last night I decided to follow codehead and look at playing a few of my games just for achievements. It then hit me.........I never seem to achieve the achievements in the first place to get them. I mean I never go into various game modes or things. I just seem to play in 1 mode. So I started to look at some of my games to find the not so hard achievements.

I stuck scene it in and away I went....280G just playing 3 games. I started to get into the thing and I did enjoy playing it again and again.

So I was thinking of trying to find others on the list of games that I have (I don't want new games). I played a game of pacman and ended up 10g from it.

So am I missing something ? Do I not play games in the right way ?

I want to 1000G a few games.....I know I can :D Its only a personal thing nothing else.

The wanted list
• LEGO Star Wars: TCS - 3 of 42
• PES2008 - 20 of 28
• ESPN FNF - 6 of 8

So do you play games in the same way ?

Achievements have never really bothered me although if I hear of a good or funny one I might give it a go.

Go here and look up the game you want and it will list all of the achievements and in most cases, will tell you what you need to do to get it :)
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/games/Retail/

Achievements have never really bothered me although if I hear of a good or funny one I might give it a go.

Go here and look up the game you want and it will list all of the achievements and in most cases, will tell you what you need to do to get it :)
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/games/Retail/

Yes I know about that....but whats the point of doing that. Its not fun. Your forced into playing a game that you might never like. I did try and use the site for a while but I would just see all achievements. What happened last night was that if I played a game in all modes in my normal way I would end up with more achievements.

i just play the game how i would if they weren't there. If i achieve something then great. I don't think i've actually played a game specifically just to get an achievement.
I totally see why people like them but i'm just not bothered personally

if you were rewarded with MS points however..........:rolleyes:

Pixel, almost all games will require you to do something 'different' in order to get all 1000gs. If you take PES2008 as an example, whenever i play PES i only ever play Master League, its the best game mode so thats what i play, but in order to get the achievements in the game you have to play all of the various countries leagues, beat all the teams etc.

It does really depend on how 'into' acheivements you are wether or not you'll ever get 1000gs from any given game, i have 32000+ gamerpoints, but only have 3 games(iirc) with 1000(or more) and i'd see myself as someone who does try to get as many points as possible from a game, but there are some achievements that are either so hard or take so long to get i question wether its worth it, especially if they are online/ranked ones

The best way to earn 'obscure' points is to use a site like achieve360points.com or xbox360achievements.org

Achievements in all their addictive glory are also good for replay value.

When I play a game I often have a look at the achievements. Reason being if there's anything I can get from a game first time round from a game that I wouldn't want to play again then all the better.

Games like Dead Rising that I love, achievements add a lot of replay value. I've been through that game about 3 times and I've only got like 600G. I intend to get more achievements for it later.

Achievements for me are really just another way to play game. It's like completing the game you are working toward a goal, just like if you were aiming for an achievement. So they could be viewed as little games in their own right.

I think they're also good to get you to play games fully and try out different things. Take Gears for example. You could just stick with using the Lancer in most cases, but all the different weapon achievements make you think before a kill and make you experience all the weapons in the game.

Then you've got games like King Kong and Lost (which I don't think are terrible btw) where achievements imo make the game more fun and rewarding to play.

I wasn't big on achievements until round about the time I got Xbox Live, became a memeber of the Xbox forums and built up a friends list. At the moment I'm tryin gto catch up with one of my frinds. He used to have 10,000 more than me, now it's down to about 4k :)

Oh and I've never boosted for any of my achievements. They're all legit, so it makes my gamercard something I can be proud of. That's how I like it.

It depends on the games. Many games have achievements that you should usually get by playing on Normal difficulty.

If you haven't got 50% from a game then you probably have missed large chunks of the fun. However some games do go mental with achievements, and completing the game can give you practically nothing.

I don't know the games you mentioned specifically, but for the major games such as Halo 3, GoW, R6V/V2, CoD3/4 you should really be getting a good 33%-50% by just playing the game normally.

I usually tend to just straight play my games to start off with, if achievements pop up then always a pleasant bonus. Then once I've either completed the game or become bored of it I start looking at the achievement list to see which ones sound either simple-fairly challenging or just fun to try for. Does add replay value most of the time which is great.

Found myself very underwhelmed with GTA IV and despite keep trying to keep going with it I'm not enjoying the game much, decided to have a look at the achievement list for it last night hoping there would be some fun challenges in there but sadly they're mostly uninspiring/tedious IMO so doubt I'll bother trying for more than a couple extra than I already have, shame as a game such as GTA could have had some great achievements with a little imagination.

My tip is to not allow the achievements to take over the game, try to pretty much ignore them to begin with and enjoy the games for what they're worth, then have fun with the achieves;). I hear of so many people who fly through games just to rack up the achievements and then onto the next one, sounds like they're missing half the fun of gaming to me(each to their own I guess).

I like going for achievement points if there's a sensible amount of points for achievement. There's some games I've played and it's like 99 different achievements and truth be told I can't be arsed waiting on the xbox jumping between menus to read what the funk I'm supposed to do for a meagre 10 points! I don't particularly like ridiculous online points (COD3 40k I'm looking at you!) and I'm not really that into the games that want you to play through on easy, then medium, then hard, then silly hard, then harder... Like some of the guys have said I see it as a nice wee bonus and if there's fun ones out there to go for I'll do it but would much rather just run around in a Fetty way and concentrate on what really matters... Beating Geometry Wars high scores... lol

I thought that gamerscore was something I was gonna chase but since there's so many 'easy' points out there it doesn't make it much of a level playing field. Geo Wars however... Well, that's just highscores all the way. Retro. 80's. Fun.

Fett Out :)

pixel, if u like golf i have almost completed tigger 09 and u get the achievements by basically just playing the challenge mode and career, got most of mine during the tiger challenge.

I never go for achievements as I just can't be bothered. I don't specifically try to go for them but even when I do I don't even pay any attention.

Please don't get me wrong but I am like the most of you. Just stick the game on and away I go. Last night was the first time I went lets just play the game and see how many times A is the answer. Every question answered A. I did find my brain telling myself you know the answer and its not A :suicide:

But I was in a way just having a bit of fun to finish the long version of the game. I would never have devided to do that, I know think how funny it would be to have 4 people and each has ! button to push only. !!!! The game now has a new way to play it.

I think this months x360 mag had some way of playing games but setting your own rules and having some theme. In a way I achieved something that I finally would have someday.

I never look at my games and go ohhh 50 jumps and I get 10G. Its more quick the other half is away out get a few games in :D

Turning to the dark side you are. :hiya:

I've done stuff to get achieves that I would never have done otherwise. (See the other thread for info), but I am calming down now.

I play 'normally' on most games. I'll glance at the achieves just to make sure I don't miss any, and go back and mop up any stragglers before I trade the game.

However, like Pixel said at the beginning, sometimes chasing achieves leads you to places and styles of game that you wouldn't normally try, and that can only be a good thing from a VFM point of view. Life would be very dull if we didn't try new things.

The term achievement whore did apply to me for a while.

I 1000G'd 4 games and had a gamerscore of about 6000ish. But after creating a new acccount and getting a halo 3 level 50 I wasn't so bothered any more.

Though given the opportunity I would probably want to get as many achievements as possible.

Something just screams at me that it is just a number sitting there, offering no tangible sense of achievement and not many other care for them either.

I dont worry about them i only had 5000 or so on my old account so after starting again i just play for fun. If i get them then great but wont focus on just doing it to get GS.

I have know people to just buy easy games and games aimed at younger players just to get 1000GS like avatar :rolleyes:

I don't usually go out of my way for achievements and some of them seem like a complete grind to get (kill 52000+ zombies in Dead Rising- ***!!). Some other games are better thought out and something like Crackdown wouldn't be half the game it was without achievements compelling you to go hunting for orbs or doing random stuff. One of my favourite achievements was on The Orange Box when I completed Ravenholm using on the gravity gun. I was on the egde of my seat the whole time.

I like the way it's like a permanent record of what you've done in a game. When I complete a game and then sell it's nice to have something somewhere which says so. It's like going on holiday - it's mainly about the experience and the memories but it's nice to have some holiday snaps!

Last edited:
Life's too short and the world too big to overly worry about these things imo, pick them up if they're easy/logical (I would!) but why spend x hours playing a game/mode you don't enjoy to add numbers to a meaningless tally?

I don't usually go out of my way for achievements and some of them seem like a complete grind to get (kill 52000+ zombies in Dead Rising- ***!!).

Ah, but the real and truely worthy gain of killing all those zombies(best done in the mantainance tunnels) wasn't the achievement, but fully levelling up(so becoming stronger and with more moves) and unlocking the Megman Blaster Gun to use from the start of your next playthrough. I actually enjoyed killing all those zombies(killing zombies never grows old) and that gun made it very worthwhile(the game was fantastic fun with that weapon in hand, even had unlimited amo!:D)

i don't play games just for achievements, i play games i want to play but i try to get as many achievements as i can for those games, like lego batman is out friday, that seems like an easy 1000g but i am genuinely interested in the game, not the easy gamerscore, but i will get the 1000g to get the most out of the game

Last edited:
I usually tend to just straight play my games to start off with, if achievements pop up then always a pleasant bonus. Then once I've either completed the game or become bored of it I start looking at the achievement list to see which ones sound either simple-fairly challenging or just fun to try for. Does add replay value most of the time which is great.

My tip is to not allow the achievements to take over the game, try to pretty much ignore them to begin with and enjoy the games for what they're worth, then have fun with the achieves;). I hear of so many people who fly through games just to rack up the achievements and then onto the next one, sounds like they're missing half the fun of gaming to me(each to their own I guess).

My thoughts exactly, Tetlee :thumbsup:

Ive been playing the orange box and having just completed HL 2, ive been looking at the list of achievements and going through the chapters to see if i can pick a few up which I havent got.

This Way, I enjoy completing and playing the game first time round without getting bogged down with achievements. Then can sweep up any easy ish ones after, which as you say, adds great replay value to the games. The achievements themselves often swings my decision to buy the 360 version of a multi format game.

My thoughts exactly, Tetlee :thumbsup:

Ive been playing the orange box and having just completed HL 2, ive been looking at the list of achievements and going through the chapters to see if i can pick a few up which I havent got.

This Way, I enjoy completing and playing the game first time round without getting bogged down with achievements. Then can sweep up any easy ish ones after, which as you say, adds great replay value to the games. The achievements themselves often swings my decision to buy the 360 version of a multi format game.

Orange Box is a bi-atch for achievements, I ran into problems with some not unlocking - Episode 2 in particular.

My philosophy is to the play the game it was meant to be played and then run through it again doing the bizarre stuff...

Orange Box is a bi-atch for achievements, I ran into problems with some not unlocking - Episode 2 in particular.

dare i say "Orange Box",and "that bloody gnome"..:rotfl:

dare i say "Orange Box",and "that bloody gnome"..:rotfl:

I've not done that one (yet) but from what I've heard from people who have, I'd be MIGHTILY hacked off if I completed that one and it didn't unlock! :eek:

Achievement points were a revelation to me. Pre-360, I'd play a game through once and then trade it. I get much better value for money these days, playing it through multiple times to chase achievements.

Gaming time is too short these days (having a 5 month old daughter is a time sponge!) to faff around (for instance) killing 200 pigeons but I do tend to extract the most I possibly can before I move on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom