Acer revo home theatre system

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by troopa9, Feb 9, 2014.

1. troopa9

troopa9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys, im new to this so i need help!!

Basically i have an acer revo 3600 which the hd has failed on. Everything else is fine.
    I want to use this as a home theatre dedicated system. So basically i will just put all my files onto the pc and use xbmc (or another program) to sort, organise and play them.

So what are my options?
    I see people booting from a usb, Why is this?
    I will buy a new hd (500gb maybe to get me started) although i do have a 1tb external hd.
    WHats my best route with this? Im not too fussed about streaming.... yet....

2. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    The quickest simplest solution will be to install openelec with xbmc on it, just download the build you need from here:

OpenELEC Mediacenter - Home

I'd probably install to usb for now, if you plan on using the 1tb drive you have already it seems pointless to spend money on a hard drive you won't use, give it a test run from the usb stick first at least to see if it's for you. There's not any major plus points to installing to usb, but it would keep the entire internal drive free for media files. It's free so by all means give it a shot and see how you fare with it

3. troopa9

troopa9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the reply everett.
    Can i ask, as my current internal hard drive is knackered. Would there need to be a hard drive installed? Or can i boot from usb and keep all the files on the external?