Acer M550 Owners Thread

Did you also connect the null-modem cable between the serial cable and the projector?
Now I feel like a bit of an idiot. Missed the crossover part of the null cable so I used a standard F/F connector. Another amazon delivery coming up. I'll let you know.

Unfortunately, my M550 needs to go back to Acer for repair again. Since going to firmware D02, 24p content doesn't display correctly (as previously discussed) and I've recently got a white spot on the image - I'm guessing it's a failed mirror.

Unfortunately, my M550 needs to go back to Acer for repair again. Since going to firmware D02, 24p content doesn't display correctly (as previously discussed) and I've recently got a white spot on the image - I'm guessing it's a failed mirror.

I had a failed mirror. Check for dust when it comes back (defocus the lens as they come in to focus at a different point to the picture). Mine was terrible, twice.

Since coming back with the D02 firmware upgrade, my HDR input is regularly dropping the signal and re-searching. It's ok when the source is TV-SHIELD/SONY-STR-DN1080/Ruipro-cable/M550, but drops out when it is PC/SONY-STR-DN1080/Ruipro-cable/M550.
It's ok because I've switched to using the non-HDR input for the PC, and manually moving over the cable when I want to watch HDR which is always from the TV-SHIELD.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having dropout issues?

Oddly, if the SONY is switched to output HDMI to both of its A and B outputs simultaneously, AND I've turned on the TV hence displaying the PC picture on both the TV and Projector, the signal never drops out...

Last edited:
Did you also connect the null-modem cable between the serial cable and the projector?
Can't thank you enough Steve. All working perfectly now. Now just an exercise in hiding the tangled mess of cables and getting a power solution for the Pi3 Zero. Ordered one of these to power the Pi
https://www.banggood.com/5Pcs-AC-DC-Isolated-AC-110V-220V-To-DC-5V-600mA-Constant-Voltage-Switch-Power-Supply-Converter-p-1144708.html?utm_design=41&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Shipoutinform171129&utm_campaign=trigger-emarsys&utm_content=Winna&sc_src=email_2671705&sc_eh=2729bc55cb1c7c3b1&sc_llid=9705155&sc_lid=104858042&sc_uid=PAz87ADEel&cur_warehouse=CN

I did put in a long RS232 cable to my media centre when I did all the cabling but would need to try and reproduce the USB-to-RS232 with null modem combo. Sounds like another fun project

IMG_4746.JPG

I had a failed mirror. Check for dust when it comes back (defocus the lens as they come in to focus at a different point to the picture). Mine was terrible, twice.

Thanks Steve. I will make sure to look for them when it's returned. How long did you repair(s) take?

Can't thank you enough Steve. All working perfectly now. Now just an exercise in hiding the tangled mess of cables and getting a power solution for the Pi3 Zero. Ordered one of these to power the Pi
https://www.banggood.com/5Pcs-AC-DC-Isolated-AC-110V-220V-To-DC-5V-600mA-Constant-Voltage-Switch-Power-Supply-Converter-p-1144708.html?utm_design=41&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Shipoutinform171129&utm_campaign=trigger-emarsys&utm_content=Winna&sc_src=email_2671705&sc_eh=2729bc55cb1c7c3b1&sc_llid=9705155&sc_lid=104858042&sc_uid=PAz87ADEel&cur_warehouse=CN

I did put in a long RS232 cable to my media centre when I did all the cabling but would need to try and reproduce the USB-to-RS232 with null modem combo. Sounds like another fun project

View attachment 1109615
No problem :)
About that power supply, even for the Zero I would be looking at 1A minimum and if you have any unpowered USB peripherals then maybe more.
This works well and is great value:
Raspberry Pi Official Universal Power Supply - 5.1V 2.5A (White)

I run 9 Pi's around the house and the only problems I really get are due to insufficient power.

Thanks Steve. I will make sure to look for them when it's returned. How long did you repair(s) take?

The failed mirror took 8 days but it returned with dust blobs.

#, Time to fix, Problem, The fix
1 10 days Flickering and noisy, They did nothing
2 12 days Flickering and noisy, Replaced DMD chip
3 8 days Broken pixel, Replaced DMD chip again
4 33 days Dust blobs
5 18 days More dust blobs
6 1 day Request for firmware upgrade, Upgraded firmware to D02

Up to the firmware change, of the 378 days I had owned the projector, it spent 83 days being fixed.. over a quarter of the time..

Got the flickering also on on mine now. Mine was sent to Germany for a C13 firmware update and after that I got noisy fan and flickering in 24hz mode. 50 / 60 hz is fine though. Just sent it back in for service, again.....

No problem :)
About that power supply, even for the Zero I would be looking at 1A minimum and if you have any unpowered USB peripherals then maybe more.
This works well and is great value:
Raspberry Pi Official Universal Power Supply - 5.1V 2.5A (White)

I run 9 Pi's around the house and the only problems I really get are due to insufficient power.
As usual a huge thanks Steve. I would have followed your advice had I read it before but looks like I got away with it and the Pi Zero is working well with the dodgy power supply. This is the only thing the Pi is being used for so it's under no real strain. I checked this site before I bought it and it looked OK maxing out at 230ma
How much power does Pi Zero W use?

As discussed I made some updates to the python you sent through. Forgive my terrible python coding, I'm more of a Java man. I have added some mqtt functionality so that it plays nicely with Home Assistant which is my smart home framework of choice. Feel free to use or add suggestions to implement whatever functionality you would find useful. At the moment it's just telling me the lamp status (which I use to determine On/Off) and sending through power on and off commands but I've attached the spreadsheet of RS232 commands which shows what else would be possible.

tvrulesme/acer-mqtt

Attachments

• RS232 Command Table_Acer_1.0_A_A.xls
    414 KB · Views: 168
Thanks John. This looks like a nice piece of work (and much more complete than mine!). I use Domoticz for my home automation and essentially point fake WeMo switches (for Echo integration) and dummy buttons (for iPhone integration) at (mostly) Python scripts. I also have a 433MHz transceiver (RFXtrx433) plugged in to my Pi which lets me interface directly to LightWaveRF switches for mains control and some dimmers, and also receives commands from a LightWaveRF remote. The LightWaveRF various controller boxes (heating, internet interface) break easily, so I'm glad to see the back of them, and direct commands from the RFXtrx433 work much faster.

Back to the M550, I have scripted the power, info and HDMI input commands as that is all I really use. It makes it easy to add it to a "Cinema" group in Alexa to turn loads of stuff on and off. The fake WeMo switch on a Raspberry Pi is extremely useful as I can have what looks like a pucker device which is actually just a pointer to a Python script which can interface to virtually anything. There is also now a way to directly get your Echo to speak without messing about with Amazon Skills and the like, in case you want feedback for anything.
Maybe this should be in the Home Automation forum? :p

Finally got M550 back from Germany.
When I tested it works perfect now !
They changed:
MC.JPC11.007 BOARD.SCALER
MC.JPC11.009 MAIN.BD.FORMATTER
Now it shows D02 on System and H7850 on model.

Glad you have received it back and all is well. Acer have had my projector now for over three weeks. I'm fed up. Went in with a failed mirror and it took them 2 weeks to realise it needed a new DMD (despite me diagnosing the issue for them). Since then they are now saying it also needs a new board and they have had to order this. Feel like I'm never going to get it back. It took them over 2 weeks last time just to update the firmware.

Hi,
I have a uhd550x (uhd60) which I have been gaming with . Sent in for firmware update today pretty bad solarization and occasional green bars on the sides. Also hope to use 3d.

I have uhd300x which I'm selling and I just bought a m550 as a punt (cheapest of the lot) . Will sell if too slow.

Now the 300x is by far best for gaming with the lag numbers in low 30s. Colours seem better but detail very soft. Also wins on zoom. Does have a border of light too that is annoying. But not as bad as on acer v6810.
Dont know if slower in HDR mode as it greys out game mode if playing hdr game.

The uhd550x was a big step up but it is slower. And zoom is less which is a problem as I'm using a coffee table setup for now. Lag is in 50s. Playable online but you always have your doubts. Big unit.

Turned on the m550 for Pro Evo 19 and the blades of grass and rain drops was were razor sharp. However colour seemed dull and was so slow. I would say build on optoma were slightly better.
Now this is new 0 hrs but on early firmware.
Has the lag time changed on the this radical firmware update?
Has it changed on uhd550x ?
When playing 4k hdr games (xbox one x or ps4pro) is hdr or game mode faster ?
What are differences?
How do you qualify for firmware update with Acer?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Well after over 4 weeks away for repair my M550 finally came back from Acer.... with scratches all over the lens and dust in the light path. Completely fed up and their terrible service. Fortunately, Amazon have agreed to refund the projector based on the experience and I will now order the Benq W2700 when released.

To summarise - The M550 is a great projector (with some known issues) but the service offered by Acer is terrible.

Well after over 4 weeks away for repair my M550 finally came back from Acer.... with scratches all over the lens and dust in the light path. Completely fed up and their terrible service. Fortunately, Amazon have agreed to refund the projector based on the experience and I will now order the Benq W2700 when released.

To summarise - The M550 is a great projector (with some known issues) but the service offered by Acer is terrible.

I must say I completely agree.
Every machine I have sent in has been a complete mare.
Coming back dead on arrival, badly packed, dust in lens , 5million parts changed and weeks or months later.
I am liking how sharp this is on the early firmware but not sure if worth the risk to send in and go through the ordeal that is acer customer service.
If I knew it would reduce lag to the same as optoma I may risk it . But as it is still wrapped and in good nick may sell as once I send in the price will drop and god knows what I will get back or when.

Last edited:
Just noticed this is now selling for £1098.50 on Amazon UK..
Seems like 4k is finally dropping in price.

Hello, I purchased a 'used' M550 from Amazon warehouse deals at £633. It comes in the original package and the protection film is still on its top panel. The battery for the controller is still in the plastic wrap. The only issue is that it comes only with the EU plug. Fortunately, I have an adapter to fix this. By the way, it comes with the C13 firmware and is produced in April 2018. In the beginning, I am happy with its condition.

Yesterday, I happened to look through the lens at a certain angle when the projector is on. I found that the mirror behind the lens was dusty and there was dust inside the lens. Moreover, there is a grease-like mark on the back element of the lens. So far, I haven't seen any negative impact on the image but I am still worried. I read somewhere that all DLP projectors come with a sealed light patch so that there shouldn't be dust in the lens. Am I right? This is my first DLP. I don't know if the lens is defective. Should I return it and get a new H7850 at £998 from Amazon? Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Oliver

Mine just got sent back to Germany with UPS( AGAIN!!)
ECO mode totaly flickering !
Aaarg...

Mine just got sent back to Germany with UPS( AGAIN!!)
ECO mode totaly flickering !
Aaarg...
This was the reason I first sent mine back. Research showed it might be the bulb, which I believe they replaced. I also bought a new bulb myself from China for a very good price (£55) in case it started flickering again.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BCG4CCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I nearly always use ECO mode and I think mine is starting to flicker occasionally again, so I might give that bulb a go.

I've never used ECO mode, but the few times I've tried it I've noticed the flicker mentioned by some. I suspect the bulb as well, but without changing the bulb can't verify.

Hi all, been happy with my M550 for a while but now experiencing some strobing. This will be the 2nd time it goes back, 1st time was for a dead pixel) so I'm keen to get as much resolved as I can before the warranty runs out (even stuff I don't know about). Do any of you have a list of known issues I can report to them to make sure it comes back with the latest firmware/software?

I've heard some of you mention D02 and some C13 but it's all greek to me....

Many thanks in advance

The "Strobe" effect might just be a bad lamp, at least that was the case with mine. Try to go for D02 firmware, the latest(and best when I still had the M550).

Two dead pixels. DMD replaced. Firmware not upgraded (c09).
HDR not triggering, HDR modes not working. Is there sens to try send back for firmware upgrade, 24p problems with new firmwares?i

Hi, I'm reviving this old thread in hope to find a solution to an HDR problem with my Acer M550.

in short: I can't the PJ to recognize HDR on Nvidia shield when the Refreshrate is less than 50hz.

I have the projector a couple of years now and I recently bought an Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I am aware of the PJ being fussy with HDR and the recommendation here to set RGB 8bit/ 4:4:4 for it to switch to HDR. I think I tried Everything to make this work with no luck.

With the Shield i'm using mainly Kodi (v19.3) but other players act the same (vlc). I tried to set every possible resolution/refreshrate/color space on the shield display settings, I tried playing with refreshrate switching inside Kodi, and I tried using the Shield's own "match refreshrate" feature but the result is the same - when framerate is 23.976 (for example, like most movies) - no HDR. If I set the shield to 50/59/60hz refreshrate - HDR works. But than I have the 24 FPS -> 60hz conversion judder.

other info:
the Shield is also connected simultaneously via my receiver to my 4k Samsung TV which accepts it's 24 FPS with HDR with no problem.
Also, my old Streamer (Zidoo X9S) sent 24 FPS HDR files to this projector correctly so I know for a fact that both the shield and the Acer can make this work.

For those of you who own the M550 and a Shield, have to managed to make refreshrate switch and HDR work for 23/24/25 FPS files? if so, what are your shield/kodi settings?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom