Acer M550 Owners Thread

I sent my M550, still under warranty, Acer assistance complaining all the faults I found (solarizations, noise, memories can not be changed, HDR, flicker, etc. etc.), also asking for software updates. On the Acer site, You must register the product and then open a repair request where you specify all the defects, and within 1-2 days you'll receive an acceptance email and another with the packing and sending instructions. Read everything. For me they used 8 days for the return and it's a total free service.

Ok thanks. I have used the service 5 times now for various problems. I'm very nervous about sending it back to them again as it hasn't been a great experience so far..
Afzal, what are your plans?

A bit of advice please, hopefully this is the best place as you all seem to have a similar setup to mine.

I have an HD Anywhere 4k video matrix which feeds various displays (all 4K). My main "cinema room" has an Acer M550 and a 5.1 surround system, soon to be upgraded to 7.1, which I use to watch Netflix 4K content with my Nvidia Shield.

All working well but wondering how to get the very best out of the setup. A little confused by the topic of chroma subsampling and transcoding.

Given my 4K matrix has the following output settings, which setting should I choose and what would I need to configure on the shield to get the best out of Netflix 4K or would I need to constantly change both the matrix settings and the Shield settings according to Netflix content? Not a problem, just nice to know so I can set myself the task of automating it.

Matrix source settings
4K2K30 444
4K2K60 420
4K2K60 444
4K2K24 HDR
4K2K60 HDR

I have 200+ MB broadband so bandwidth will not be an issue. Please let me know if I am missing any other info to make a call on this.

My setup:
AV: Yamaha RX-673 (Soon upgrading to Sony STR-DN1080)
Speakers: 5.1 - 4 x Monitor audio C265iDC, Monitor Audio Silver Centre, BK XXLS400-DF sub
Sources: Nvidia Shield with Netflix, Xbox One S

I sent my M550, still under warranty, Acer assistance complaining all the faults I found (solarizations, noise, memories can not be changed, HDR, flicker, etc. etc.), also asking for software updates. On the Acer site, You must register the product and then open a repair request where you specify all the defects, and within 1-2 days you'll receive an acceptance email and another with the packing and sending instructions. Read everything. For me they used 8 days for the return and it's a total free service.
After reading your posts here, I also contacted my seller of these in Sweden (Visunext).
I told them about the problem with MHL / HDR switching, 50 Hz bug and so on.
They sent me a returnslip for a UPS pickup(Visunext have their warehouse in Germany).
I put a note in the package for the technician, explaining about C13, and motherboard change that has been done on other units.
Hopefully this will be a fast and nice update for my M550.
Thank you all for the tips and heads up, will keep you guys posted with the progress.
Kind regards, Per

So, finally got a mail that they sent further so Acer for "software update".
Hope for a delivery soon....

Ok thanks. I have used the service 5 times now for various problems. I'm very nervous about sending it back to them again as it hasn't been a great experience so far..
Afzal, what are your plans?
Did you get your problems solved, steveprior ??

I sent my M550 into Acer UK this week asking for the latest firmware (D02 I believe) to be installed. I'm hoping this will fix a number of small issues as reported elsewhere. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Did you get your problems solved, steveprior ??
Yes I got them fixed, but the flickering on Silent mode occasionally comes back, and getting decent blacks on HDR is difficult. I'm really keen to see what the firmware upgrades achieve!!

Yes I got them fixed, but the flickering on Silent mode occasionally comes back, and getting decent blacks on HDR is difficult. I'm really keen to see what the firmware upgrades achieve!!
That makes two of us =).... will let you all know as soon as I get it back.

Well got my PJ back from Acer Germany, updated with C13 firmware.
I now got "the flickering" on Automode / 24 hz UHD mode on my Oppo 203.
Strange !
When I put 50/60 hz UHD mode it all works fine.
Even ECO mode works fine !
Luckily I do have the new fiber cable from Supracables( 12m / 39 ft) that will do 4K 60hz.
HDR comes on directly without problems.
I have not seen any signs of the 50 hz but either.
So, I will keep it as is(if nothing else comes up though).

Well got my PJ back from Acer Germany, updated with C13 firmware.
I now got "the flickering" on Automode / 24 hz UHD mode on my Oppo 203.
Strange !
When I put 50/60 hz UHD mode it all works fine.
Even ECO mode works fine !
Luckily I do have the new fiber cable from Supracables( 12m / 39 ft) that will do 4K 60hz.
HDR comes on directly without problems.
I have not seen any signs of the 50 hz but either.
So, I will keep it as is(if nothing else comes up though).

Excellent news :) How is the picture?

On the eve of the 1st birthday of my projector I have decided to request a firmware upgrade using solarisation and memory issues as the main reason. This will be the SIXTH time I've sent the projector back so I really really hope they fix it first time!! My understanding is that there is a 2-year warranty for the M550, but to be certain I was covered I requested the upgrade just within the first year..

Acer have finally updated the firmware on my M550 and have dispatched it back to me today. Hopefully with me soon. It was with them for 16 days and I had to chase a lot to get them to action the update. Apparently been updated with the newest firmware which is D02. I will report back as to changes.

Excellent news :) How is the picture?
So far so good !
Of course it depends on the film it self sometimes.
But I really like the picture quality, and upscaled 1080(from Oppo 203) to 4K also is very good.
The warranty for mine is 2 years, so you should have that to.
Go for it, (the firmware update)and good luck steveprior !

So far so good !
Of course it depends on the film it self sometimes.
But I really like the picture quality, and upscaled 1080(from Oppo 203) to 4K also is very good.
The warranty for mine is 2 years, so you should have that to.
Go for it, (the firmware update)and good luck steveprior !
Thank you! They accepted my request today so I'll be sending it off really soon! :)

Acer had the projector for one day and have updated the System Software Version to D02. The Model Name is still M550.
4k/HDR now looks amazing and I'm seeing much less solarisation on SD. It feels like a whole new projector and the presets also seem to work better (I like "Movie" now).
I can finally see the kitchen cupboards at the beginning of Blade Runner 2049 without messing with a ton of settings and squashing all the blacks.
Well worth the update!! :)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Acer updated my projector to D02 the other week (took them 2 weeks mind) and as Steve says, the HDR is much better. However, mine has come back with an issue. When trying to watch 24p content (Blu-ray etc), there is a loud noise and the image on screen flickers and looks incorrect. Anyone else experienced this? 50/60hz content (Xbox etc) plays fine.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Acer updated my projector to D02 the other week (took them 2 weeks mind) and as Steve says, the HDR is much better. However, mine has come back with an issue. When trying to watch 24p content (Blu-ray etc), there is a loud noise and the image on screen flickers and looks incorrect. Anyone else experienced this? 50/60hz content (Xbox etc) plays fine.
Yep, got the same here. I have the C13 firmware, and luckily I play all my discs and do all my streaming through my Oppo 203. I just forced the setting to UHD / 60hz and it all works fine. Strange thing though, no problems with this earlier...

Just wondering how you guys are controlling your M550? I tried and failed with RS-232, hated using harmony to send IR as I keep getting the below symbol when firing "off" commands. Does anyone else have this issue?

IMG_1378.PNG

Currently my most stable way to control is using curl commands (the M550 is connected to my network) which I have batched up in to a shell script (happy to share if of interest) but it also has the same remote blocked symbol appearing at times.

I use the RS232 interface connected to a Raspberry Pi, with some simple python scripts.
I use this USB-to-RS232 cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QUZY4UG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this null modem cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DEM02W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For phone/webpage control I use a Domoticz dummy switch pointing at the scripts.
For Alexa voice control I use some scripts called FauxMo, which is also written in python, and acts like a WeMo plug, which also finally points at the main python scripts.

With another FauxMo device called "Cinema" I can say "turn on cinema" and the screen will come down, the projector will turn on and switch to the 4k input, the amp (STR-DN1080) will turn on and switch to the TV Shield input, and the lounge lights will turn to "cinema mood".
The subwoofer turns on 30 seconds later as the screen coming down can make it pop when the motors turn off.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I use the RS232 interface connected to a Raspberry Pi, with some simple python scripts.
I use this USB-to-RS232 cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QUZY4UG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this null modem cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DEM02W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For phone/webpage control I use a Domoticz dummy switch pointing at the scripts.
For Alexa voice control I use some scripts called FauxMo, which is also written in python, and acts like a WeMo plug, which also finally points at the main python scripts.

With another FauxMo device called "Cinema" I can say "turn on cinema" and the screen will come down, the projector will turn on and switch to the 4k input, the amp (STR-DN1080) will turn on and switch to the TV Shield input, and the lounge lights will turn to "cinema mood".
The subwoofer turns on 30 seconds later as the screen coming down can make it pop when the motors turn off.
Thanks a lot Steve. I played around with RS-232 for a while but kept coming up with nonsense output from serial interfaces. Maybe I'll have another go with this. My fake IP control works most of the time but this seems more robust

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If it helps, here is the python code I use to power on the projector:

import time
import serial
projector=serial.Serial(port='/dev/ttyUSB1',baudrate=9600,parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS)
projector.isOpen()
projector.write('* 0 IR 001' + '\r')
response=''
time.sleep(1)
while projector.inWaiting() > 0:
response += projector.read(1)
if response != '':
print("PJ reply:" + response)
projector.close()

import time
import serial
projector=serial.Serial(port='/dev/ttyUSB1',baudrate=9600,parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS)
projector.isOpen()
response=''
time.sleep(1)
if response != '':
projector.close()
Thanks a million Steve. I’ve got a prolific PL2303 laying around so will give it a try with that and your code this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Will probably combine with a Sonoff to monitor power state or just ping with the existing IP connection. Wishing they had a more decent api but never mind

import time
import serial
projector.isOpen()
response=''
time.sleep(1)
if response != '':
projector.close()

No luck for me unfortunately with the same USB-to-RS232 cable you suggested.
lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: 8250.nr_uarts=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:71:E2:C1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=cd1d885b-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
[ 0.000729] console [tty1] enabled
[ 0.792051] 20201000.serial: ttyAMA0 at MMIO 0x20201000 (irq = 81, base_baud = 0) is a PL011 rev2
[ 0.794861] 20215040.serial: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x0 (irq = 160, base_baud = 31250000) is a 16550
[ 12.197943] usb 1-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

>>> import time
>>> import serial
>>>projector=serial.Serial(port='/dev/ttyUSB0',baudrate=9600,parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS)
>>> projector.isOpen()
True
>>> projector.write('* 0 IR 002' + '\r') #should be the off command

But nothing happens. Contacted tech support who suggested I send in the projector. Don't see that's going to get me anywhere fast.....

Did you also connect the null-modem cable between the serial cable and the projector?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom