Acer M550 Owners Thread

We've discussed your first problem. As I mentioned, I sent my first projector back for that problem and they replaced it.
The third problem could well be a stuck mirror, and I wonder if the second problem is related. I know of one person who sent their projector back for stuck mirrors and they replaced the chip. I would guess that replacing the chip might also stop the first problem, which is noise generated by the XPR system.

That is certainly my hope!!

Hi Afzal

I've got the Optoma hd300x and I am looking for an upgrade. Possibly deeper black level and better contrast. I've got a "semi-dedicated" room. Wall are dark and there is a dark carpet in front of the screen.
Am I going to see a definitiv improvement with the black and contrast compared to the hd300x?

Other alternative would be a W1090 or an Epson tw5636

Regards

Lionoche

Ps: from Switzerland too ;-)

You have a much brighter image, good contrast and good blacks for a DLP - we aren't talking JVC levels, but with a dedicated room you'll be happy with everything except the darkest scenes.
By far the biggest gain is the UHD - even 1080p looks amazing, much, much better than the HD300x could ever handle.
It's a bit of a PITA to set up, but once you have the results are stunning. I've had friends over for the matches and they are surprised. One said when he first saw the screen he thought he was looking at a huge LED TV. Surprisingly, with just the tinniest of frame interpolation you get quick fluid TV.
If I'm right, the other projectors you mention are 1080p. Without going into the whole 4K or not question, the image from the Acer is incredible. As I said, it does super upscaling of 1080p, and is stunning with native 4K.

Hmm I guess I was expecting something quieter than my old Sanyo PLV-Z700 which was listed as 21dB(A), and was very quiet..
No chance of finding any (other than ultra high end) DLP unit which will get close to the Sanyo noise levels. The Sanyo units had an exceptionally designed cooling system which was really quiet for its day. All these little DLP units tend to be noise boxes compared to the big LCD / LCOS units.
Ignore the above, it seems things have moved on and these are nice and quiet. Will have to try and see one in the flesh.

Last edited:
So today my projector came back from Acer after a couple more visits (the first where just the bulb was replaced, the second where the DMD chip was replaced) and the buzzing has gone so all I now hear is the fan :) and there is no broken pixel.
In Silent mode the projector is barely audible, and in standard mode it is much more acceptable because there is no buzzing whatsoever. Quite a relief!

However, the flickering is back so I'm trying to run the projector on full blast for a couple of hours to see if that helps.

Also, I do use the non-Silent modes when watching films that warrant the best picture, but Silent is my go-to mode for lounging around playing games, browsing etc and watching low-spec series. It really is very quiet.

Glad to hear you've resolved the noise problem! I've never had a flicker problem. I never use the Eco bulb mode, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

So today my projector came back from Acer after a couple more visits (the first where just the bulb was replaced, the second where the DMD chip was replaced) and the buzzing has gone so all I now hear is the fan :) and there is no broken pixel.
In Silent mode the projector is barely audible, and in standard mode it is much more acceptable because there is no buzzing whatsoever. Quite a relief!

However, the flickering is back so I'm trying to run the projector on full blast for a couple of hours to see if that helps.

Also, I do use the non-Silent modes when watching films that warrant the best picture, but Silent is my go-to mode for lounging around playing games, browsing etc and watching low-spec series. It really is very quiet.
I'm intrigued as to how you rate Silent compared to the old PLV-Z700 - is it subjectively quieter? I was surprised when I read the spec at 19dB and assumed it must be lies like all the others...!

I'm intrigued as to how you rate Silent compared to the old PLV-Z700 - is it subjectively quieter? I was surprised when I read the spec at 19dB and assumed it must be lies like all the others...!

It is subjectively more quiet. If you like I could measure dB(A) for both? It is pretty close to background noise though... If I was a gambler, I'd say the M550 was the winner for sure.

So, to continue the excitement and now that it is night time, I have noticed a whole constellation of dust blobs and streaks.. quite amazing.. Another trip back to Acer assuming they agree it's a problem..
IMG_7489.PNG

It is subjectively more quiet. If you like I could measure dB(A) for both? It is pretty close to background noise though... If I was a gambler, I'd say the M550 was the winner for sure.
That's a good effort on their part then. Don't worry about measuring, that they're even in the same ballpark says I was doing it a dis-service. Seems like things have moved on in the DLP world.

That's a good effort on their part then. Don't worry about measuring, that they're even in the same ballpark says I was doing it a dis-service. Seems like things have moved on in the DLP world.
In silent mode my projector is at background noise level (it's my second, the first having an issue with the XPR unit that made a terrible hissing sound).
In silent mode the projector's XPR is turned off, so it is working in its native 2.5k mode (2716 x 1528).
I use neither silent, nor Eco bulb, so my projector is in the loudest setting, and I need to be close to it in a silent room to hear it. If I turn on my HTPC, which is a quite silent build, the HTPC drowns out the projector.

Last edited:
So, to continue the excitement and now that it is night time, I have noticed a whole constellation of dust blobs and streaks.. quite amazing.. Another trip back to Acer assuming they agree it's a problem..
View attachment 1036068
Good grief! How can they by so awful? I controlled mine when it came back, and everything was fine. That's really the sort of thing that will put people completely off ever buying Acer.

Having never had this done before, should I be expecting absolutely NO dust marks at all?

Having never had this done before, should I be expecting absolutely NO dust marks at all?
Mine had no marks at all when sent in, and none when returned. If you want to avoid the long down time of sending it and and getting it back, you may want to try cleaning the light path yourself. Get a micro fiber cleaning cloth and maybe a lenspen (it's a cheap and effective device for cleaning high grade optics). You could also get a can of the compressed air used to clean computers. Remove the bulb assembly (and clean it separately) and clean the inside and outside optical system using the micro fiber and compressed air.

Yes I was considering doing it myself but with the problems I've had I didn't want any possibility of voiding the warranty.

Yes I was considering doing it myself but with the problems I've had I didn't want any possibility of voiding the warranty.
True, but what's the quickest turnaround time you've had with Acer?

8 days, and I have my old and quiet Sanyo in the meantime :)

I spoke too soon. I sent it off in early July, and received it back a month later with a new set of dust blobs after again having the DMD chip replaced, so it went straight back again. I finally received a quiet, flicker-free, dust free projector on September 7th. The DMD chip was replaced three times..
Advice for anyone buying one of these: the projector performs really really well, but if you hear any form of buzzing sound, send it back and make sure you check for dust blobs when it comes back to you!! In total that is 5 times back to Acer.

I spoke too soon. I sent it off in early July, and received it back a month later with a new set of dust blobs after again having the DMD chip replaced, so it went straight back again. I finally received a quiet, flicker-free, dust free projector on September 7th. The DMD chip was replaced three times..
Advice for anyone buying one of these: the projector performs really really well, but if you hear any form of buzzing sound, send it back and make sure you check for dust blobs when it comes back to you!! In total that is 5 times back to Acer.
What version is your firmware?
On the French forums there is at least one person who has had C13 installed.
We're waiting for him to report if it's resolved HDR/solarization issues.

What version is your firmware?
On the French forums there is at least one person who has had C13 installed.
We're waiting for him to report if it's resolved HDR/solarization issues.
I have C09..

Sorry for my English,
About the C13 firmware update I wanted to integrate my review on italian forum: Precise that in all cases colorimetry has really improved sharply. Some basic settings on Standard setting and ... miracle !!! it remains stored and does not go to the "user" bank. First bug fixed, I have at least a dozen settings to be memorized at will. Let's see the 4K ... pure show !!! The HDR automatically hooks up from any support (UHD disks, files on the NAS ...) ... and according to fixed bugs.
1) this firmware is really complete and usable in all its settings;
2) always no bug 50 hz;
3) 4K HDR movie now I recommend Dark Cinema - accucolor off, accumotion 1 and dynamic black off;
4) 4K demos as always spectacular;
5) for the bluray 1080 standard board - accumotion 1 and DB 1;
6) Netflix from Shield 24p – HDR perfect
7) Sky is the source that benefits most from the new colorimetry; the F1 in 4K (not hdr hlg) is awesome !!!;
8) The 4K Ultra Telesystem continues to be a pleasant surprise;
9) the SD signals are slightly improved and in very exceptional cases they can be watched even for an hour spinning;
10) the fan and XPR no longer feel; Silent mode continues to be the best for 720 and 1080.

So ULTRA satisfied with the upgrade ... in the firmware the name of the pj now is H7850 and not more M550.

Last edited:
Only from Acer Service because they change motherboard and other boards also.

If the projector is still in warranty, is this seen as a free service? It seems like a no-brainer to get to at least C10 based on what I've read, regardless of cost. If the projector has to go back to Acer, is this a service that is frequently taken up?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom