Acer laptop 7736g wifi card upgrade

bungieben

Hi, i'm wanting to upgrade the wifi card in a Acer 7736g laptop. I thought i'd brought the correct replacement but it is different.
The old one is larger with one slot and the one o purchased is smaller and has two slots.
Any help please.

Last edited:

DavidG1

You bought an M2 pci-e WiFi card. You need a mini pci-e WiFi card - the two are not the same, mini WiFi cards come in full height and half height, yours looks to be full height, if you remove the card and see if there is a screw fitting for a half height card you can tell.
You can get M2 to mini PCI-e adapters such as this which might work with your purchase
M2 - mini pci-e adapter - I would check with the seller first.
You might be better posting in the Acer community forum to see if anyone can suggest a suitable card.
You could risk buying a half height card such as an Intel Dual band AC-7260HMW and a separate mounting bracket
Dual Band Wifi card
Solanton Half to Full Height Mini PCI Express (PCI-E) Card Bracket Connector
However some manufacturers have a WiFi card whitelist coded into the BIOS so that only specific WiFi cards will be recognised. The other thing you could do it to go to the acer support site and see what wifi cards were available. As you can see swapping out wifi cards isn't as simple as it seems.

Last edited:

bungieben

You bought an M2 pci-e WiFi card. You need a mini pci-e WiFi card - the two are not the same, mini WiFi cards come in full height and half height, yours looks to be full height, if you remove the card and see if there is a screw fitting for a half height card you can tell.
You can get M2 to mini PCI-e adapters such as this which might work with your purchase
M2 - mini pci-e adapter - I would check with the seller first.
You might be better posting in the Acer community forum to see if anyone can suggest a suitable card.
You could risk buying a half height card such as an Intel Dual band AC-7260HMW and a separate mounting bracket
Dual Band Wifi card
Solanton Half to Full Height Mini PCI Express (PCI-E) Card Bracket Connector
However some manufacturers have a WiFi card whitelist coded into the BIOS so that only specific WiFi cards will be recognised. The other thing you could do it to go to the acer support site and see what wifi cards were available. As you can see swapping out wifi cards isn't as simple as it seems.
Ok thanks. I already ordered a adaptor that works with the ax200 only a couple of quid so we'll see.

bungieben

The adaptor came for the AX200 wifi card for the Acer 7736 laptop and all is super good. Just powered off the laptop and swapped out boards rebooted and connected to internet straight away no driver update req'd unless it done it on boot up windows 10.
I'm now getting full speed on wifi for my package 25 meter and two rooms away from router.
The worst part was connecting the antenna cable patch leads to the board they are very very small.

Attachments

• speedtest pic.jpg
    speedtest pic.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 16

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom