Acer Iconia W500 - any good?

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by ZootHornRollo, Sep 1, 2012.

1. ZootHornRollo

ZootHornRollo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I am looking for a tablet and have noticed some very good deals on the Acer Iconia W500 (From £237 on a cashback deal).

Are they any good?

Most reviews are from around the release time which is well over a year ago now so i am not sure relevant they still are - especially in light of Win8 which appears to improve the overall usability.

I know about the limitations of Win7 on tablets but this tablet can run Win8 - as has been published all over the web - and would qualify for the £15 upgrade to Win8 on official release.

I am looking for a tablet that could potentially replace my laptop and this seems to fit the bill. I do not need the fastest processor, the most RAM or the quickest HD... i just need to know it works smoothly enough to not be annoying - unlike android tabs i have tried! i currently use my laptop pretty much for office apps, email, evernote, internet, syncing windows phone with music collection, syncing camera & basic photo editing on GIMP and not a great deal else. I have a 500GB external HD for main storage, needing only the onboard SSD for what i'd need outside the house - so the 32GB limit does not phase me.

My current laptop is 2Ghz Dual Core with 4GB of RAM but i have to say it is not pushed!

Is 1Ghz Dual Core and 2GB RAM enough for my basic computing needs?

Cheers,

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. gavmiller

gavmiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I've one running Windows 8 and it's very quick. Plus, it's a PC so just plug in anything you need - external HDD, card readers etc. etc. Battery life is about 6 hours.

Sounds like it would suit your needs so go for it. Unless you want to wait and see what the Surface and similar tablets are priced at.

3. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    Considering buying one, used of course, for £110. What are your opinions on it? How well does it handle windows 8? Is battery life really as poor as 4 hours?

4. jdewinnaar

jdewinnaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Depending on what you do it's a good windows tablet! Battery life is pretty poor yes :(

Where exactly can you get it for £110?

5. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    Used on gumtree, 1 yr old, but perfect condition, can knock down to £90 :D