Acer Iconia W500 - any good?

ZootHornRollo

Novice Member
Hi,

I am looking for a tablet and have noticed some very good deals on the Acer Iconia W500 (From £237 on a cashback deal).

Are they any good?

Most reviews are from around the release time which is well over a year ago now so i am not sure relevant they still are - especially in light of Win8 which appears to improve the overall usability.

I know about the limitations of Win7 on tablets but this tablet can run Win8 - as has been published all over the web - and would qualify for the £15 upgrade to Win8 on official release.

I am looking for a tablet that could potentially replace my laptop and this seems to fit the bill. I do not need the fastest processor, the most RAM or the quickest HD... i just need to know it works smoothly enough to not be annoying - unlike android tabs i have tried! i currently use my laptop pretty much for office apps, email, evernote, internet, syncing windows phone with music collection, syncing camera & basic photo editing on GIMP and not a great deal else. I have a 500GB external HD for main storage, needing only the onboard SSD for what i'd need outside the house - so the 32GB limit does not phase me.

My current laptop is 2Ghz Dual Core with 4GB of RAM but i have to say it is not pushed!

Is 1Ghz Dual Core and 2GB RAM enough for my basic computing needs?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking for a tablet and have noticed some very good deals on the Acer Iconia W500 (From £237 on a cashback deal).

Are they any good?

Most reviews are from around the release time which is well over a year ago now so i am not sure relevant they still are - especially in light of Win8 which appears to improve the overall usability.

I know about the limitations of Win7 on tablets but this tablet can run Win8 - as has been published all over the web - and would qualify for the £15 upgrade to Win8 on official release.

I am looking for a tablet that could potentially replace my laptop and this seems to fit the bill. I do not need the fastest processor, the most RAM or the quickest HD... i just need to know it works smoothly enough to not be annoying - unlike android tabs i have tried! i currently use my laptop pretty much for office apps, email, evernote, internet, syncing windows phone with music collection, syncing camera & basic photo editing on GIMP and not a great deal else. I have a 500GB external HD for main storage, needing only the onboard SSD for what i'd need outside the house - so the 32GB limit does not phase me.

My current laptop is 2Ghz Dual Core with 4GB of RAM but i have to say it is not pushed!

Is 1Ghz Dual Core and 2GB RAM enough for my basic computing needs?

Cheers,
I've one running Windows 8 and it's very quick. Plus, it's a PC so just plug in anything you need - external HDD, card readers etc. etc. Battery life is about 6 hours.

Sounds like it would suit your needs so go for it. Unless you want to wait and see what the Surface and similar tablets are priced at.

D

Deleted member 585609

Considering buying one, used of course, for £110. What are your opinions on it? How well does it handle windows 8? Is battery life really as poor as 4 hours?

Depending on what you do it's a good windows tablet! Battery life is pretty poor yes :(

Where exactly can you get it for £110?

D

Deleted member 585609

Depending on what you do it's a good windows tablet! Battery life is pretty poor yes :(

Where exactly can you get it for £110?
Used on gumtree, 1 yr old, but perfect condition, can knock down to £90 :D